Thread: Sink Drain Blade & Light (no adapter)

Default Sink Drain Blade & Light (no adapter)

My introduction is in another thread, found here.

I am attempting a drain pipe build for my first go, and I want to use the drain "emitter" as the blade holder. I'm trying to build this saber using only what I can purchase at the moment, without waiting for anything to come back into stock in the store. The drain adapters are out of stock. I think I have almost everything I need except the Rebel LED itself, which I'm sourcing from another site. I had a few questions about putting all this together.

First, are there any existing threads that discuss making this work without an MHS Sink tube LED/Blade holder? I tried googling a variety of terms on this site but couldn't find anything relevant.

Here are my current thoughts: I believe I can use some sort of lining inside the chrome emitter to neck it down to the 1" blade diameter, and another neck below the existing "windows" in the sink drain assembly. That would give me two solid points of contact for blade support, and all that would remain is putting in a blade securing knob or two to hold it in place. Right now I'm thinking those lining necks would be PVC pipe or some other pipe or tube with a 1" inner diameter and an outer diameter that matches the inside diameter of the drain. Making it this way, I'll even get the cool windowed effect from the existing drain holes, which I might line with a perforated metal.

The upper neck I could just epoxy in place, but the lower neck would also have to be the surface against which I secure the LED assembly somehow. I might make this neck removable with some set screws so I can access the LED in the future.

I'm not to worried about finding a switch that will work, and I've run the calcs for the resistor. My remaining question is whether a (4)AAA battery holder will fit in the drain pipe grip, but I'm hopeful. If not, I'm only out $1.50.

Plumbing parts were $36, LED is $7, misc parts from TCSS are $22 or so, and the blade will be another $25. That brings the total cost to $90, minus the soldering gun and tap I'll need to purchase. Not too bad for a decent sink saber when I'm done, plus the knowledge I'll have picked up on the way. I'll probably start up a build thread just in case all this works out and functions.

I showed the photo in the other thread, but here it is on day one. I still want to add some vertical vane grips to the back section, possibly improve the main grip from the electrical tape finish, and get a real button on there:

Oh, sorry, I didn't really end with a question there. The questions are: Will this necking down idea work? Has this been done before? Is there a reason people don't use this method?

Iv been trying similar for weeks, picking up everything at hardware stores and measuring to no luck....except PVC conduit. It has a 1" ID and with a bit of sanding can be made to fit the sink tube. I did it and it works but unless the pvc is hidden it wont look too amazing IMO, so im left just waiting for the adapter to come back in stock. I saw some metal conduit that looked like it might work as a sleeve today but it was a 10' piece and I didnt want to have to return it if it didnt work.

With a good primer and paint, I'd assume one could make PVC look pretty good, or at least disappear. It's in an area that won't get dinged up much, so a paint finish should hold up.. Since the only part of the PVC that would be really visible is the upper edge where it meets the emitter, maybe you could find something to accent the top to hide that edge? A silver or chrome metal ring, or something you gut yourself out of stock metal? A metal ring with evenly spaced set screws could look really good. I'll see what I can come up with when it's time.

A lot of guys on here make PVC look killer! I just think paint against chrome sink tube is gonna stand out, but that's based on my painting abilities. The PVC is grey so at least its not white with black writing on it.