Thread: I don't know why I like this so much

Default I don't know why I like this so much

... but I do.

I'm in my 30s and have a 6 year old son. He's shown some mild interest in the star wars universe (mainly through Clone Wars), but he finds it a little to scary at this point. I want to show him the OT, but I want to wait until he's a little more excited about it.

With The Force Awakens coming out, I sat down and watched all 6 films with my wife. It was the first time she'd seen any of the OT films all the way through, and it was the first viewing of Episode 3 for both of us.

After watching TFA, we started debating Rey's parentage (like all of America I suppose - my favorite theories are that she's a Kenobi, or the inbred offspring of Luke/Leia - ha!). That led to me seeing a photoshop of Rey with her staff as a lightsaber, which led me to reading about lightsabers, which led me to the theories of how they work, which led me to seeing this post:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-Saber-Phase-1

Which has now led to this forum, and a mild obsession. I'm now in the process of building my first basic saber ("for my son") from the plumbing aisle at Lowes, and am not sure where things will go from here. I have a few questions on adding power to that, which I will post under LED Hilts and Wiring. I also have a theory of activation boxes that I'll post under Misc Topics.

You seem like a great bunch, and I'm looking forward to this journey. Even though I'm an architect, I've always been mystified by electrical things, and I'm hoping both myself and my son can use this as a way to learn. For Christmas he just got a giant kit meant to help kids learn how electrical wiring and circuitry works. I'll probably use this as a way to teach him as I learn.

Oh yeah, thread worthless without pics and all that, here's the saber as it looked on day 1, in all its sink drain and electrical tape glory:

Attached Images Attached Images

That is one fine hardware saber... and as a fellow architect, uh, welcome. Looking forward to seeing how this saber develops.

That looks really good. Welcome to the forums!

Welcome! and great hardware saber! I'm kind of like you, I'm an electrical designer, used to working with a lot of different architects and I love architecture in general. Welcome to the forums!

I'm like you only I spent about a year trying to shake this addiction. I gave up last summer and started buying parts and tools. Now I'm moving so I can have room for a drill press and a lathe. Run, run while you still can, lol. Seriously, welcome, have fun and that's a great saber.