Thread: How much amps is being supplied from this battery in this diagram?

Default How much amps is being supplied from this battery in this diagram?

It just says 3.7 volt, how do I figure out amps so I dont fry the board? Thanks

saber.jpg

Batteries don't have a set "amperage" rating. They discharge as much current as they can with respect to the resistance in the circuit, as stated by Ohm's law.

So it wouldn't matter if it's 2600 amps or 1400 ?

the 2600mAh or 1400 mAh refers to the battery capacity, how much juice it packs. 2600 would last longer in your hilt than 1400, respectively

I think you're looking at the battery capacity. 2600 MAh (mili-amp hours) means the battery is capable of supplying 2.6 amps for an hour.

Edit: Looks like Blade-Rave beat me to the punch.

Blog Entries

I believe you're mistaking mAh for mA.

mAh is the amount of charge a battery holds or capacity. For instance, 2600 mAh means the battery can supply 2.6 Amps per hour before it is depleated and needs to be recharged or replaced.

mA is in reference to a circuit's load, or what the components are consuming.

Looks like you both beat me.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Will it matter how much amps are supplied in an hour to the circuit though?

The short answer is not really. The only difference it will make is how long your battery lasts.

The long answer is that you don't "supply" current (amps) to the circuit. The circuit will draw its own current from the battery based on the voltages and resistance in the circuit like I mentioned earlier. The board will not draw too much current and fry itself if you use the right battery voltage. That would be a bad design if it did, wouldn't it?
    However you must add a resistor in your circuit like is shown in that diagram to make sure that your LED doesn't draw too much current and blow up.

Blog Entries

You're still confusing capacity with load. If you have a sound board that has a limit of say 3 amps, that means it can handle delivering 3 amps. Any more LOAD than that can harm the board. The battery's CAPACITY rating just tells you how long you can deliver those 3 amps using that battery as a power source.

So for instance: capacity (2600mAh) / load (3000ma) = 0.866 hours of runtime.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

its good to keep in mind the charge and discharge rates for these batteries as well. this spec isnt always listed in the store, and can be found in the manufacters spec sheet. the chargers sold here at tcss are all 0.5a chargers, and are perfectly safe with all the batteries sold here. and using protected cells or packs with pcbs will make it doubly safe on the charging side. but if you exceed the discharge rate by drawing too much current with leds and such, it will trip the protection and power gets cut. in short, no lightsaber. This rating is usually given as a value C. you can think of this number as a multiplier, for example a battery listed as 2600mah, with a max discharge rating of 1C, means you can draw at a rate up to 2600ma from it before tripping the protection pcb. for a value of 0.5C you can only draw/charge at 1300ma.

worth mentioning when youre trying to estimate how long a li-ion battery will last, that "2600mah" rating is arrived at under testing conditions at a typically much lower rate that most led sabers.. sometimes around 0.2C. the efficiency curve for li-ion isnt linear, it drops the further you exceed that test rating and the closer you are to the max rating. so unfortunately for our purposes, capacity/load=runtime is generally pretty optimistic. You may be lucky to see 50-60% of that depending on a whole bunch of factors.
    Last edited by atomsk; 02-23-2016 at 12:32 AM.