Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: started scratch builds with a couple mhs parts

Default started scratch builds with a couple mhs parts

Hi all, in the past I've only done MHS or Modified MHS builds and I thought its been past due to widen my horizons a bit. So I took on 2 scratch builds from plain old 6061 extruded tubes for the hilt and copper bar for a heatsink, delrin rod for a chassis. So far I just have the main hilt mostly hammered out. I wanted as thin a hilt as possible. Currently its stands at 1.25" diameter for the main hilt sections with the shouds at 1.375" diameter. I am however cheating with MHS pommels and the second one does not have a pommel yet. In the end they will have prizms in them and I plan to flog a tree out back to see how it holds up. But this is what I've got so far. Criticism and suggestions always appreciated.

Lookin good. What equipment are you using, if I may ask

That second hilt is absolutely gorgeous.

looks really good! did you machine that knurled knob or buy it?

Fine hilts, the both of them. Love the angled cuts on each.

Scratch builds are my vary favorite.

Oh yes! These are looking good snilam. Delrin is a great material to work with. I've used it for constructing chassis for both of my builds

Those sabers look really good. Can't wait to see the chassis.

Thanks! its coming along.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vislir View Post
    Lookin good. What equipment are you using, if I may ask
    I have a 10x22 lathe, mill, various saws, eastwood pc gun with the cheapy toaster oven along with other tools from I use at work. still pretty early in the build haven't done any sanding/smoothing or polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Inf4mous View Post
    looks really good! did you machine that knurled knob or buy it?
    All fasteners are from TCSS along with pommels and electronics and switches

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Oh yes! These are looking good snilam. Delrin is a great material to work with. I've used it for constructing chassis for both of my builds
    I'm looking forward to working with it, I never have before. All I've done so far is lathe down the delrin which was perfectly 1" ( along with my copper rod for heatsinks) but my alum tube was imperfect at a ID of .994" but I was surprised how nicely It machined

looks good!

Very nice. Very clean lines.