Thread: Build a blade tip

Default Build a blade tip

Hello guys! I've a question about the reflective disc of the blade tip. In Italy i found the tip without the reflective disk, so which material may be fine? You think a simple mirror it's ok? The OD of the disk it must be the same of the internal OD of the tip? Sorry for the english guys, thank you in advance

If you've ever purchased computer parts (video cards, motherboards, etc), you may have seen those dark anti-static bags that they put the parts in. The material from those bags makes a decent substitute for the reflective discs.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Blog Entries

You're English is fine and better than a lot of native English speaking people

You may want to make the reflective material a little smaller than the tip. This will allow some of the light to pass into the tip, illuminating it. I believe the technique is called "shine through."

Ok guys, thank a lot. In the next days, I will try as you have recommended me. If you you have other idea, please write here XD Thanks again!

Firstly, nice English! I'd like to comment on this, as quite a few people around have asked for improvised blade mirrors/etc. It may be helpful if we manage a good method of achieving this, though I'm not sure if it will be as effective as Tims.

So, do you plan on choreographing fights or dueling? Or is it more of a show blade?

Yes, ideally, make it the slightly smaller as the "male insert" side of the plug. I've heard making it smaller or drilling a hole in the center of the mirror increases tip illumination as well (and as stated above).

Onto Material Suggestions:
    -Aluminum tape, as suggested by BartElroy.
    -Aluminum Foil (Glossy/Shinny side for the reflective part?)
    -"Reflective Tape" of any kind, depending on the color.
    -A smart-phone "mirror screen" attachment/screen cover that you cut to size. It adds a mirrored effect to smartphone screens, and at certain angles you can see the screen. Great for privacy, horrible for the sunny state I live in! I had one on my last phone and removed it due to the sun burning my eyes.. Now I want to try this.
    -If you use a small "Normal Mirror", aka glass, don't duel with it.

May be a wise idea to hit up a local hardware store and ask for "Highly visible" or "Highly Reflective" Hazard-esq tape.
    Last edited by Jay-mo; 01-25-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-mo View Post
    Firstly, nice English! I'd like to comment on this, as quite a few people around have asked for improvised blade mirrors/etc. It may be helpful if we manage a good method of achieving this, though I'm not sure if it will be as effective as Tims.

So, do you plan on choreographing fights or dueling? Or is it more of a show blade?

Yes, ideally, make it the slightly smaller as the "male insert" side of the plug. I've heard making it smaller or drilling a hole in the center of the mirror increases tip illumination as well (and as stated above).

Onto Material Suggestions:
    -Aluminum tape, as suggested by BartElroy.
    -Aluminum Foil (Glossy/Shinny side for the reflective part?)
    -"Reflective Tape" of any kind, depending on the color.
    -A smart-phone "mirror screen" attachment/screen cover that you cut to size. It adds a mirrored effect to smartphone screens, and at certain angles you can see the screen. Great for privacy, horrible for the sunny state I live in! I had one on my last phone and removed it due to the sun burning my eyes.. Now I want to try this.
    -If you use a small "Normal Mirror", aka glass, don't duel with it.

May be a wise idea to hit up a local hardware store and ask for "Highly visible" or "Highly Reflective" Hazard-esq tape.
    Hi man, thank you so much for the reply! So i wanna use the blade for a little duel, not a real duel but just the moves on a cosplay set. I think the aluminum tape or the aluminum foil it's a little bit simple to find in the stores, but i wanna try the smartphone cover
    Last edited by Venom Jedi; 01-25-2016 at 01:48 PM.