Thread: what material should i use for properly diffusing the light???

Default what material should i use for properly diffusing the light???

Hello everyone! I am very new to lightsaber building and I wanted to challenge myself by building my first lightsaber from scratch (from aluminum found in the garage) and I wanted it to have a string blade, because I wanted my blade to be a consistent color. And it was one heck of a challenge. The saber that I decided to build is just a basic stunt saber. The biggest issue that I have ran into is finding the material that diffuses the light the best. I ended up just stealing some of my moms white felt fabric to wrap the string in. (Im sure you are cringing at my last statement, but it didn't turn out to bad.)

The main reason why I am posting this is for future reference for when I build my next.

Hello, I am in the same boat and need some sort of Diffusion Film. I tried using baking/wax paper which seems to work decently but only with multiple wraps. Before that I used a light thin foam that you would find if you were moving and needed to package your dishes. This didn't work very well for me personally, but it should work fine for LED string blades.

Hope this helps a little

If you go to a plastics store, like TAP plastics, they sell a diffusion film, it may take a few layers, but hopefully it will be to your liking.

For my first string blade I used a 3/32 inch thick packaging foam, but it left a very clear edge that was quite annoying (apart from that it was difficult to wrap the string). For the second string blade I had found a 0,4mm thick (thin!) packaging foam that worked very well. I use clear polycarbonate tubes, so I have also used sand paper the diffuse them some more. I am very satisfied with the thin packaging foam. (If you send me an e-mail I can give you more specific information).

I would like you to spend me info to be able to build my saber.