Thread: Batteries Li-on

Default Batteries Li-on

Hi I'm new to building light sabers, My question is if I connect two 3.7v Li-on batteries in parallel do I only use one 3.7v PCB or two.

Thanks in advance.

Each battery should really have its own pcb. Most 3.7v pcb's are only meant for a single cell and would be unable to balance e the charge between the two.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks for your answer. So if I installed two separate batteries with PCB's, to extend run time in the hilt, would it be possible to charge them simultaneously from the recharge port.

I haven't tried that myself, but it should be possible. Each cell's pcb will cut off the charger once the correct threshold has been reached.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks for that. I'll set up a bench test

Make sure you get 2 new cells from the same batch/box if possible. You want these cells to stay matched as it will make charging and discharging much more predictable and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bambua View Post
    Make sure you get 2 new cells from the same batch/box if possible. You want these cells to stay matched as it will make charging and discharging much more predictable and safe.
    I totally agree, its very important if your using two LI-ions. "Mating" the pair, as I call it.. Always use the same brand for a "mated" pair.

Charge each one at the same rate (I.E if your charger has a low setting, both should be charged on the same setting). Mark them, and label them.

A great investment is a charger that can "read" battteries as they charge, with a digital display. It tells you if your battery seller is really giving you "new" batteries.. Its saved me money and time dealing with batteries sold as a "Pair" that were actually used separately.

Also, look up the basics of handling, storing, and using Li-ion cells if your new to using them. Safety first.