Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Patina

Default Black Patina

Hey what are you guys using for black "paint" on your sabers? I want to darken the recessed areas of the ribbed sections Tim sells.

Thanks

Brian

I'm going to use rubber O-rings in mine. Looks good and helps increase the grip.

Destroy the Sith we must!
    Yoda

Devilstar2k2 went over what he used to paint the ribbed section just a few topics down on this group. Nice pics too.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ah thanks, I see the post now. I might do the o rings, just gotta see how it feels.

Later

I compared the ribbed section of my saber to the MR ROTJ Luke, and I gotta say, it pretty much a dead ringer.

It just depends on what look you are going for I guess...

Since aluminum is a soft metal one could probably use a dark stain to accomplish the dark color between the ribs, it may take a couple of coats but is should work. Just a thought it is a slow day at work nothing to do.

Do-Clo

Don't make me destroy you...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Do-Clo

Since aluminum is a soft metal one could probably use a dark stain to accomplish the dark color between the ribs, it may take a couple of coats but is should work. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A stain won't creap into the metal like it would on wood. It may be soft, but it needs to be poris for a stain to work.

If you wanted to just darken it you could mix some Black model paint with some clear and spray it lightly (or brush it, spraying it would look better). That would make it semi-transparent and may give you the look you're looking for.

You may want to play with the mixture. 1/2 & 1/2 would be a good place to start and go from there.

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

Well for me it needs to be a balance of look and function. I really don't like wearing gloves when doing sword work, it effects my finger movement too much so grip is important.

I'll just try both and see how it goes!

Brian

Will powder coating work?

Less talk, more action........

Powder coat would work great. The only problem would be having some place to get it done.

Do-Clo

Don't make me destroy you...