Thread: Soldering Cree Tri-XP-E2 ???'s

Default Soldering Cree Tri-XP-E2 ???'s

So this is the first time I have soldered LED's and I have a RBRBW I want to start soldering. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the solder have to flow from the pad to the little tiny piece of solder I see next to the LED bulbs or does the solder make the connection when kept within the copper looking pad? I am new to these and I was a little confused. I did watch the video a few times but I just want to check before I begin! The LED in the video already had solder on the pads and the TriXP-E2 just has bare copperish pads so I am confused how they connect to the bulb.

EDIT: I just went for it and soldered it and figured it out for myself. I tested the LED's and they worked perfect! Keeping the solder beads right in the pad borders is all that is needed. Im just so new to this and I wasnt sure. These things are cool!

also, I can trim my resistor pins/wire pretty short without causing issues right? Wasnt sure if there was a minimum I need to stick to for maximum effectiveness. they came pretty long! Sorry. just little things I have not found answers for yet, but I swear I am looking!
    Thanks!

voodoo
    Last edited by Count Voodoo; 01-21-2016 at 01:04 AM.

Yes, just connect to the pads. The pads make connections through wire traces under the protective covering of the board.

Resistor wires can be trimmed as short as you need. Just leave enough for a solid connection. I've trimmed mine as short as 1/4" and had no issues.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!