Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Request permission to re-post your photo's

Blog Entries

Default Request permission to re-post your photo's

Hello fellow sabersmiths,

As some of you know, i have an instructable on building a saber that has exceeded 750K views and has been featured in several news articles and blogs. In it I promote places like this forum and TCSS. It is however VERY outdated since it was published in 2009.

I am in the process of rewriting it. I am adding new techniques and new technology into the article. As part of the rewrite, I am building a new lightsaber with a Nano Biscotti purchased recently from TCSS.

So the point of this post. I need pictures examples of the following techniques and technologies from you.

1. Different sound boards built into a saber - Video would also be great.
    2. Saber chassis fully assembled - Both disks and 3D printed
    3. Crystal chamber
    4. Safety/dummy plugs for emitter
    5. Wire management
    6. Anything else new to saber building since 2014.

Along with the pictures I need permission from the saber maker that I can use the image. The permission is actually the important part. I could have just done a search for the above examples and re-post the pictures, but I am an honest and ethical person. So I will only use pictures I took myself or have been granted permission to use. Also I need to know how you would like to be credited for the photo, i.e. username, real name or anonymous. No monetary compensation will be given. This instructable is published at no cost to the public as a way to promote our hobby.

preferably just reply to this thread with a link to the image you want to submit along with words like "you have permission to use this. credit to Darth $%^&." Please submit ONLY your own work or your own property. Do NOT submit something that is not yours.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by vadeblade; 01-12-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------------------

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas A. Edison

Not for nothing, but I believe Madcow has already done an instructable (not too long ago as I recall) about building a lightsaber.

There are also a host of videos in the tutorial section that covered almost everything you mention.

On FX, you can look up my K3GR2-Warspite build, and Apex and Illustrious here, and you can use those if you wish.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 01-12-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

Don't know if they're worthy, but you can use anything from the links below. If you use the blade plugs, please note that the one using the razor blade screen is ARKMs idea. The others are mine. You can credit my username if you choose to use any.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...om+blade+plugs

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-002-PIC-HEAVY

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I thought Rob made one recently too but cannot for the life of me find it anywhere.

Regardless, VadeBlade's instructable is the 1st thing you find on google when you search for "how to make a lightsaber", so that very well may be many peoples' front door to the hobby!

I recently walked my Groomsmen through constructing their own sabers, so once I get a chance to take pictures of their varied chassis setups and post them, you can use those images if you wish.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Also, there have been a few good discussions recently regarding LED brightness (myths, lumens, diminishing returns, color options vs max brightness, etc) and it may be helpful to include some of that type of information. I'll see if I can track down the threads in question and get links for you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Don't know if they're worthy, but you can use anything from the links below.
    Your too humble Darth Chasm. Those are works of art that i believe would inspire many to build their own. Thank you so much for the contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    Regardless, VadeBlade's instructable is the 1st thing you find on google when you search for "how to make a lightsaber", so that very well may be many peoples' front door to the hobby!

My point and my goal exactly. This is confirmed by the fact that despite it's age (or more likely because of its age), the instructable has been featured on many blogs, and has been in articles. the latest by a reporter for NPR Science Friday. A real reporter whos resume includes NPR Market Place and LA Times. I asked another reporter why they contact me. The answer was that I was most prolific in the search results.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Not for nothing, but I believe Madcow has already done an instructable (not too long ago as I recall) about building a lightsaber.
    There are also a host of videos in the tutorial section that covered almost everything you mention.

As Cire Yeldar pointed out, my instructable is the gateway into this hobby for many. Not to mention I am freely promoting TCSS store. I know everything I mentioned is in youtube, is searchable, is in the gallery. And like I said, i could have done a search and found them. Heck, i do use search and find them and learn from them, and get inspired by them. the point is, for me to use others' work, I am ASKING for permission. I think i should be given some credit for being respectful of the work of others and not just stealing other peoples' images and ideas. I can contact each sabersmith individually, or I can just make this thread and have a central location for all the contributors (and yes, i'm lazy and this is less work for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    On FX, you can look up my K3GR2-Warspite build, and Apex and Illustrious here, and you can use those if you wish.
    Thank you for granting me permission to use those.

Feel free to use any of mine from this thread. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...70-First-saber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Feel free to use any of mine from this thread. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...70-First-saber
    Thank you. The salt water etch turned out great. I think I will add a section in the instructable about that and use your images as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by vadeblade View Post
    The salt water etch turned out great.
    Thank you. I realized I forgot to tell you who to credit. Please credit Rick Lobrecht.

This was my first one. It's a pretty 'basic' CC but if you wanna use it, you have my permission.

image.jpg. image.jpg. image.jpg

image.jpg. image.jpg

If they're any good, credit to Greenie.