Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using Bondo with PVC!

Default Using Bondo with PVC!

Hey everyone so since i was doing this to my saber build today i figured i might aswell take some pics and throw together some info for people who were curious about using body filler on pvc.

First things first, your pieces need to be sanded with a course sand paper ( I use 80 grit )

After The sanding is done and the parts have been cleaned they are reading for the bondo!

Scoop out a liberal amount of Bondo its better to have more than not enough and mix in the hardener... you want your bondo to end up a pale pink color. if you use to much hardener it will set up way to fast.

You'll need to use some type of squeegee to apply it, try not to put it on to thick...i did a very sloppy job on this one but the bondo is really easy to sand so dont worry if you mess up!

after about 30 mins it will be dry enough to sand, use a course sand paper to knock down the big stuff and increase the sandpaper grit as you go

once you have your desired result its time to prime it!

Before you start painting it. wet sand the primed pieces to get any imperfections out, and then you can start painting!

This part of my hilt was made up of 3 different pieces 1 piece of 1 1/4" pvc, tapered nylon bushing and a locking nut from a sink... using the bondo gave me a seamless one piece look...Feel free to ask any questions you might have about this process or anything else about PVC ive been crafting things out of it for awhile.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Thank you for posting this, I don't believe I had actually ever seen Bondo in action before!

Thanks for this! I had *assumed* that Bondo worked on PVC, but I wasn't sure. I've used it a couple times when working on older cars, but never on a saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thank you for posting this, I don't believe I had actually ever seen Bondo in action before!
    Thanks for this! I had *assumed* that Bondo worked on PVC, but I wasn't sure. I've used it a couple times when working on older cars, but never on a saber.

No problem guys! I noticed no one has really touched base on this so i figured this might help some people! There is so much you can do with PVC

This made my day. I am using Bondo with at least 1 of the 3 sabers we are prepping to build right now, they too are PVC. I was pretty sure it would work just fine, so I am glad to see that it worked well for you and bonded well.

It looks good and I plan to do the same to fix some flaws I have. Keep posting updates !

I've been kicking around a few bondo ideas, but I've never used it. This definitely helps.

Pretty sure this could be used to fill in the gap between the two PVC sizes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vislir View Post
    Pretty sure this could be used to fill in the gap between the two PVC sizes as well.

Yep ive used it for that aswell! a combo of fiberglass and bondo makes for some awesome custom molding... maybe ill do a fiberglass tutorial soon!

My first PVC saber!!! I loved working with PVC...Im working on an Orgus din now...and want to bondo some gaps..so thanks for the post!!