Thread: Red LED Current?

Default Red LED Current?

Running Luxeon Tri Rebel. Can the Red LEDs be safely run at 1A? Their site says max current is 700mA, but elsewhere I've seen up to 1A, or even higher. Thanks!
    TexasSaberBuilder
    ****rell School of Engineering
    University of Texas at Austin
    Hook 'Em

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSaberBuilder View Post
    Running Luxeon Tri Rebel. Can the Red LEDs be safely run at 1A? Their site says max current is 700mA, but elsewhere I've seen up to 1A, or even higher. Thanks!
    For Rebels, about 750 mA would be the safe max, unless you want to replace the LEDs.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

FJK, you rock
    TexasSaberBuilder
    ****rell School of Engineering
    University of Texas at Austin
    Hook 'Em

Rebels have the ~700mA limit on their warm (Deep Red, Red, RedOrange, Amber) colors, while the rest of the line has the ~1000mA limit, which is why it might show up differently in different areas.

Alternatively, you saw specs on Cree LED stars, which have the ~1000mA limit on all their colors.

You may have seen conflicting info from people like me... I overdrive my rebels quite a bit although I always make sure to say that I don't recommend it, and that if you do, Overdrive at your own risk but I have rebel reds, ambers and red oranges that I drive over 1A and I've had no issues with them. I have some deep reds but I haven't wired them up and played with them yet so I can't say anything about them.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.