Thread: Filler Question for PVC

Default Filler Question for PVC

What is a good filler I can use for a PVC hilt? I need one that will dry hard like plastic but can be sanded and pained to look seamless.

Not sure. Maybe Bondo? I don't know how well it adheres to PVC, but it can be sanded and painted.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

2 to 3 layers of sandable primer is good for small imperfections, bondo for larger. Only thing, if you are trying to get uniformity you'll have issues with bondo on a cylindrical object. Unless of course you can mount it on a drill and spin it.
    If you are trying to get bulk and a asymmetrical hilt you can use fiberglass or even sheets of carbon fiber if your blood is rich enough.

Ive used bondo and its worked great just make sure you use it right and you wont have any issues...Bondo will crack over time though...so maybe Fiberglass resin would be a better option for you.

2-part epoxy putty. I get mine in the plumbing section of Ace Hardware.

Used it many, many, many times in the past with great results. Doesn't crack. Sculptable, sandable, paintable. Good stuff. Just another option to consider.

Bond is far easier to work with than 2part epoxy, as it is meant to sand and shape. Best shaped while in the rubbery phase of the reaction, then sanded as it is in the final phase. For plastics such as PVC, SLA, or FDM printed parts I prefer a basic sand able primer. Rustoliums new 2x for metal and plastic is my favorite right now. Alternate between grey and white. Spray...15 minute dry...wet sand and repeat. In a workshop for an Industrial Design model building workshop I put on, we used makerbot prints at the 100 micron build resolution, used high-build automotive primer to smooth out to a surface enough to be painted with high gloss paints without signs of surface defects.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 01-11-2016 at 08:08 AM.