Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Setting up my lightsaber electronics

Default Setting up my lightsaber electronics

I have an empty korbanth qui gon jinn lightsaber hilt coming in the mail and I need help setting up the electronics. I've done star wars fx lightsaber conversions but I've never setup the internals from scratch. What I want is for the light saber to be rechargeable and be able to do some light to heavy dueling so the electronics will have to be secured in the hilt.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure what the ID of Randy's hilts are but you might want to check out Madcow's videos on building sabers with sound. If TCSS chassis parts won't fit, you could craft your own or 3D print a chassis.

What features are you looking to get out of a soundboard?
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    Not sure what the ID of Randy's hilts are but you might want to check out Madcow's videos on building sabers with sound. If TCSS chassis parts won't fit, you could craft your own or 3D print a chassis.

What features are you looking to get out of a soundboard?
    Nothing fancy just basic. I was thinking about choosing the nano biscotte v2 sound module

You can download the manual for that board free in the TCSS store. I would highly recommend starting by reading that manual. It will give you a solid idea of what you will need. While you're waiting for the board to restock you can start gathering everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by emperor Vader View Post
    Nothing fancy just basic. I was thinking about choosing the nano biscotte v2 sound module
    Well, lucky for you, Madcow's videos on building sabers with sound give step by step instructions on installing NBs. Reading the NB manual and watching those videos will help you a lot.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

alright i got my qui lightsaber today and i was wondering how do i measure the inner diameter of the hilt?
    also is the 7/8" show blade only for show or can it be dueled with too?

Blog Entries

Calipers. They have three measuring points. The prongs that face each other are for measuring outside surfaces. The shorter prongs that face away from each other are for inner dimensions. These are the ones you would use. Place them in the opening and then expand them. To make sure I am getting the exact ID I usually turn the tube while expanding the prongs as much as possible.

the third measuring device is the depth gauge. The stick that comes out of the bottom. That's for, you guessed it, measuring depth.

Alright so the lightsabers inner diameter measurements are, pommel 1.1 inches, the main body about .889 inches, and the led section is about .883. So what can i do about setting up the electronics?
    Here's my parts list:

green rebel star led
    led 8.7 degree lens
    led lens holder
    led thermal tape
    nano biscotte soundboard
    clash sensor
    motion sensor
    premium 28mm speaker

i dont know what to do about the switch yet and an electronics chassis.

Toss the clash and motion sensor. Those are built into the Nano Biscotte.

You'll want a single momentary switch. Any will do. You'll just have to pick one that fits the style of the saber.

You'll also need a resistor for your LED. Find the sticky thread on Ohm's Law and you can calculate the correct value.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Can't decide what electronics chassis to get.

It's between these two:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/AFF...28618ef76d0efc

And

http://www.shapeways.com/product/UVD...i=shareProduct

I also wanna know how to install the led I have(see picture). Do I just super glue it in place or hot glue? I really don't wanna screw it in place if I don't have to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by emperor Vader; 02-09-2016 at 08:17 PM.