Thread: Overlay powdercoat options (post 01/01/16)

Default Overlay powdercoat options (post 01/01/16)

For understandable reasons, parts are now only coatable as whole pieces (excluding threads, I imagine) to cut down on re-milling time etc.

I have 3 related questions which all apply to a time when I am feeling a little richer.

1) While this may not necessarily be a great idea, and entirely at my own risk, would it be theoretically possible for me to scratch/age/mill/sand a powder-coated part and then send it back for a new coat of something lighter? Eg, gold transparent first, scratch it up a bit and then ask for transparent brass over the top?

2) Again at the customer's own risk, and at double the price I'm sure, might there theoretically be some advantage to having 2 coats? Maybe even of 2 colours?

3) And finally: I notice media blasting service is available and that looks like it might be a nice effect on some colours. Is this best performed AFTER the powder coat, to dull it? Or is this applied to the bare metal and then a transparent colour put on top? Or do both those things achieve something slightly different?

Thanks for your help.

J

1.) While I cant speak for Tim of course.. if you got a piece PC'd ...then you did whatever you wanted to to it.. ans sent it back for another color.. I dont see why that would be denied. But I also dont see the 'benefit' of it? to protect your 'scratches' with another trans color? - not clear to me is all.. but I dont see how it would be any different that just pc'ing a whole part.

2.) Advantages how? structurally? protection? I'm not sure it would. As when you 'dust' the part.. it 'magnetized' (statically charged particles) to make adhesion to the part and the powder before baking. When re-baking part that has been pc'd or even baking a part too long.. the adhesion is not so good.. and can result in odd coloring (white powdery section) flaking of the coating..etc..

3.) Maybe at a very low pressure it might 'dull' the coating..... but I would suggest seeking a 'matte' version of the pc.. instead of ruining the integrity of the initial coating. Also.. media blasing might just strip it all off (depends on the pressure I guess).. I believe it normally for use on the bare metal.. to make it a matte, un-polished look for the bare metal that is then clear coated.