Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roman's Props Obi Wan build

Default Roman's Props Obi Wan build

I have an Obi Wan hilt from Roman's Props preordered and I'm in the planning stage. So this list is just for electronics.

Blue LED, sound, recharge port. I've looked at diagrams and I'm confident that I'm capable to do the wiring. Most of the parts are out of stock, so no hurry. Haha. The hilt should be here mid February.

So here's' what I'm thinking:

Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module (I'm not 100% sure if this will fit - anyone know?)
    Nano Biscotte V2
    2W 28mm Bass Speaker
    MHS Speaker Mount V6
    18650 Single Cell Holder + battery
    Switchcraft 2.1mm power jack
    And for the switch, a graflex clamp switch holder: http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/...-switch-holder

I'm not sure about resistors, I'm not sure if I even need any. I've read mixed opinions. So... Help?

Also, I was thinking about an indicator LED for the charge port (hidden inside the pommel). I'm not sure if people do that or how I'd wire it in. Any suggestions? How do you know your batteries are charged without an indicator? Lol.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the forums.

The MHS heat sink isn't going to fit, neither will the MHS V6 speaker holder. They're sized to lock into MHS pieces. You'll probably need this heatsink but I'm not overly familiar with Romans or their dimensions so it's hard to say.

As for your resistors, check out this thread

How do I know my battery is charged without an indicator? When my charger says so.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I assume you ordered the hollow one specifically for electronics...saw a couple of recent post where people ordered the standard...then when they went to add internals it had a 1/2" threaded rod running up the center of the saber and the emitter was not set up as a blade holder.

If you watched the video he explains the LED fits into the "cone"...the cone fits into the blade, and the blade slides into the emitter. The emitter is the heat-sink, though not sure how they expect you to hold the lens on to the star...

If you read their electronics requirements you would see the rebels are not compatible nor are any of the single die offerings. It requires an led with a center wire hole, and actually specifies the tri-cree.

Also I did not see mention of a blade. If you need one, I would not order a complete blade, mainly because since the led,lens, and the "cone" protrude into the blade an unknown distance the Corbin film or diffuser would probably need to be cut down to allow for that space. From the video you can see his diffuser ended .5"-.75" from the end. Their parts page says it only works with thin walled blades.

Here is a close up of the emitter I found. You can clearly see the center wire hole and the small gap where the blade sandwiches between the led holder and the blade holder.

.image.jpg

If you did not order the FX-kit...you will have this
    image.jpg
    Last edited by FenixFire; 01-07-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added images

That's all good information to have.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for your 2 cents. I'm not really sure what any of the dimensions are yet, I guess I should wait for the kit to get here first. So it was a stab in the dark for the battery/speaker holder. I'm assuming that MHS is larger? I dunno. Same with the LED module. In his video he says he uses a rebel, so I just assumed it was the one listed above. And resistors just confuse me, so I guess I'll read up on them more. Thanks.

Thanks!! I DID order the FX kit, thank goodness! Lol. In his video he says he used the rebel LED. Yes, in the description he mentions the tri cree, I guess I just figured since he said he used the rebel, it was the same one. ?\_(ツ)_/?

I'm not too worried about the blade yet. That's the easy part and will be the last step for me. The guys are my concern. I'm not sure about the heat sink either, or if it even requires one. So... I guess wait and see.

Thanks for your feedback. Back to the drawing board.

Oh! And the charger? I guess that's a no brainer! Lol. Currently, I don't have a charger. My current saber takes AA's lol. Of course the charger has an idicator. Hahaha. Thanks bud.

Perhaps the TCSS image is just out of date? Looking at other suppliers, the tri-Rebel setup seem mounted to a plate with a centerhole.

So yeah, I don't think specifying between Rebel and Cree is the important part, just that you make sure you're buying a tri-led Star with a wiring hole in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouri View Post
    Perhaps the TCSS image is just out of date? Looking at other suppliers, the tri-Rebel setup seem mounted to a plate with a centerhole.

So yeah, I don't think specifying between Rebel and Cree is the important part, just that you make sure you're buying a tri-led Star with a wiring hole in the center.
    The hole would be dependent on the pcb they are mounted on if someone is attaching rebels to a sink-pad II it would work. Or he drilled additional holes...guess that would be the easy answer.

The entire emitter is the heatsink for the led. Attach an adhesive star to the led after soldering, and insert it into the emitter...bingo giant heat sink.

So since the consensus seems to be that the LED module won't fit, I should get a single tri LED and what, no heat sink? Just stick it in there with adhesive?