Thread: Colored blades + colored LEDs?

Default Colored blades + colored LEDs?

I use my sabers for cosplays and dueling, and I am in need of a new blade and saw that TCSS has colored blades. I currently own a red LED saber and one white LED saber, and I'm thinking purple for my next saber. I'm looking at the 1" thick-walled colored sabers even though I know TCSS has purple for their 1" thin-walled, but I want something that can withstand duels easily. A single blue or red LED costs less than an LED setup that allows me to get a purple light, so if someone can answer my questions, that'll be very helpful.

Would a blue blade + red LED result in a purple-looking blade?

What does red blade + blue LED appear as?

What about red blade + white LED + blue filter / blue blade + white LED + red filter?

How do these colored blades look without blade film inside them?

What exactly is blade diffuser used for? Does it have the same effect as blade film?

Thanks in advance!

Using day blades to cheat color mixing is something many people ask about. The short answer is that it's disappointing. They are meant to illuminate a certain color and using other colored LEDs in them results in dim blades. On top of which, they aren't meant to be super bright in the first place. The point of them is to have a colored blade in daylight when illumination doesn't work.

Filters also dim LEDs, so I can only imagine what combining filters and day blades will do to your blade intensity.

Without blade film, they're probably going to look like any other blade. Uneven. Dimmer towards the middle. Transparent.

I have only ever known people to use the solid blade diffuser for string blade diffusion.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I'm new to the forum and new to building sabers. I had this same question and never received clear answers. So I ordered one of each (except purple). I was using 200-300lm torches to light the blades (for my kids). Here is my findings:

Red lighting blue blade double wrap diffuser- magenta- poor appearance

Blue lighting red blade double wrap diffuser - poor appearance

White lighting any of the blades looks washed out

The best combos are red lighting red, blue lighting blue, green lighting green.

I have pics of the finished products if needed. I'm not sure how to post those though.

Question: if anyone has advice on a royal blue led lighting a trans purple blade, I would appreciate it. Thx!

image.jpg

These are the trans blue, red, green, show blades with corbin double wrap diffuser. They are lit with q5 200-300lm torches with respective color leds. For example, Red LED lights red blade, Blue LED lights blue blade, Green Led lights green blade.
    Last edited by Jacobpac; 01-27-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Have you tried using white LEDs on them?

It's been while since I've been on here. I like a white led illuminating a purple blade -double wrap Corbin show blade- it makes the best purple I've been able to achieve even with mixing using the color extender.