Thread: Buckpuck, LED wiring question

Default Buckpuck, LED wiring question

Hello all,
    First build starting soon. Unnecessarily second guessing myself on some of my electronics.

Soundboard: US Obsidian V3 (most immediately available board for this build)

LED Config: Luxeon Rebel Tri-Star, 2x 106lm RED (Max Current 700mA), 1x 313lm LIME (Max Current 1000mA)

Battery: TrustFire 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery

Two Buckpuck choices: 700mA or 1000mA constant current drivers without dimming

Question: What is my best bet for wiring? I'm thinking I wire the 700mA buckpuck in front of all the LED's in the circuit, and sending that power to the two red LED's (in series) as the primary light source for the saber, and then having the lime FOC LED connect to its appropriate grounding point on the board. Does this sound sane? Another option would be to supply the lime LED with its own resister (no driver) independent of the original buckpuck circuit.
    The single Li-ion cell should be enough for the system as well, correct?

I know its a long post, but I also know y'all are much wiser/ more experienced than I am. Thank y'all a ton in advance for answering this.
    TexasSaberBuilder
    ****rell School of Engineering
    University of Texas at Austin
    Hook 'Em

You're going to have to ask for wiring help over on the US forums. There are very few of us that have any experience wiring an Obsidian board.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Welcome to the Forums.

To be perfectly honest, that "manufacturer" and their products aren't really discussed in these parts. Not many will know about them here, as the store this Forum is attached to only sells Plecter Labs sound boards.

I will say this (in general terms) - buckpucks typically need at least 5V to run, AND once you get past that little hurdle, if you run 2 LEDs in parallel (assuming you use the 1000 mA buckpuck), each LED will only get 500 mA and won't be very bright.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

First I would highly recommend the Nano Biscotte over the Obsidian as a better overall board.

And secondly, I would personally ditch the buckpuck altogether and just wire the LEDs all with their appropriate resistors.

But if you are sticking with the buckpuck, you will need a 7.4V battery solution instead of a 3.7V, because the buckpucks have a 5V minimum.

Thanks for y'all's recommendations. As the popularity and demand for the Plecter Lab's boards is extremely high, the supply at the time of ordering my parts list was exhausted. Being my first build, I wanted to go with a more hasty build instead of trying to get lucky with ordering from PL, even if that meant ordering from a more taboo board producer. At least this soundboard, in terms of connections and wiring, seems similar enough to the diagrams I have seen from the PL boards. In the future, a PL board will be a priority. As for the buckpuck advice, I appreciate what y'all have told me. It has been extremely helpful, and I will continue to return here for advice and expertise.
    Thank y'all
    TexasSaberBuilder
    Hook 'Em

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Good luck with your build!

Thanks! I will post in the appropriate section once finished with final decisions and what not!
    TexasSaberBuilder
    Hook 'Em