Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build-Graflex 2.0 Saber Kit

Default First Build-Graflex 2.0 Saber Kit

So this will be my first saber build... Before I go through my parts list with a few questions for you all, lets start with me and my experience. I have taken a basic electronics class (in high school maybe about 9 years ago ) and have basic skills for soldering. I have fixed minor electronics (radar detector) so I feel pretty comfortable with my soldering ability. I lack a lot of knowledge about amps, voltage, resistors, and other basic electronic verbiage that I see discussed here on a regular basis. So with that being said lets lay-out the parts list:

Saber Hilt
    - Graflex 2.0 Saber kit* (here) I had another design I was planning on doing that would utilize MHS parts, but I could never seem to accumulate all the necessary parts. So when this "saber kit" came up I grabbed it! Because who doesn't love a classic.
    - Graflex LED adapter? not quite sure if I am going to need and purchase one of these as of yet.

Hilt electronics
    - Nano Biscotti v2
    - Li-ion pack 18650 3.7v 3400mAh
    - 2W 28mm premium Speaker
    - 2x tactile switches, momentary
    - LED blue - I will not be using the white for FoC.
    - LED Lens Tri
    - 7/8" Aluminum heat sink
    - 2.1 power jack w/kill key
    - 0.47 ohm .5w resistor x 2
    Misc
    - 36" blade 7/8"
    - Chassis disc for NB and 18650 li-ion, recharge port
    - speaker mount V4
    - all thread for chassis as well as spacers; jeez 4-40 threaded rod is difficult to find...
    - I am also trying to find some braided brass/steel flex tube but every where I have gone doesn't have anything small enough.

Graflex Saber kit is already on order and should be here sometime next week. I already have a NB; I will be ordering the other parts after I narrow down a for more details.
    I hope you guys can help with some of my newbie questions (LED selection and resistor). Please feel free to critique anything if it looks funky or if I am missing something.

I will post pics and details of the Graflex 2.0 Saber Kit when it arrives!

Update 1/9/16 Package is in route and should be here Tuesday, I will be doing a review that night with pics.

Update 1/10/16
    - I am also thinking about perhaps throwing a crystal chamber into the mix. But I am unsure how much room will be left after current electronics are installed. Soooooo, I am just going to wait and get all my necessary parts together first and then perhaps I can start dreaming.

UPDATE!!! 1/12/16

I just received my package from UPS! I have taken the time to do a few rough measurements and take a few pictures. Sorry if the pics are a little to big...
    Blade holder is not shown in any pics because I need a smaller allen wrench to remove some screws holding it in place. All In all I very happy with the overall quality of the hilt. It is not a flimsy piece of metal that feels like it would crush under your grip, there are a few scratches on the hilt but it doesn't bother me. The bottom part of the hilt screws directly into the bottom of the blade holder, so it is important to be careful and make sure you unlock the clamp before unscrewing the two piece or you will cause some nice scratches on the 7-hole side of the hilt. Also the bubble card falls out of the clamp easily, I'm not sure if this is a common thing but I am assuming I will need to fill the space with some sort of material. DO NOT BUY the Graflex chassis disc! The diameter is to big and it will not fit past the threads of the hilt. I am sure with a little dremel-fu I could get them to fit, but not without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the disc. My 7/8" heat sink and B/B/W Cree LED, will be shipping the end of the week. I hope to start the build sometime next week, been practicing my soldering on old calculator chips/boards for the past few days and I am feeling pretty confident.

I will continue to update periodically between now and then. I will start sketching my internal layout, and wiring schematics over the next few days. If anybody has any questions about the hilt and parts feel free to ask, I all try and answer as best I can!

Entire kit:

1st - TFA/ESB 2nd - ANH

Graflex Body from different angle:

Thanks
    Last edited by RoninBJJ; 02-01-2016 at 08:11 PM.

After I cut my teeth on a simple stunt saber (parts on order), I will be attempting to assemble the hilt electronics for the TCSS Graflex 2.0 kit as well. I bet there are quite a few of us in the same boat, so I will be following this thread with interest.

I nabbed the same Graflex 2.0 kit from TCSS that you did. I love it! I assembled it yesterday. It is already a beautiful belt hanger. Does anyone know if it has the same internal dimensions as the Parks/Korbanth kits found elsewhere? The pictures I have found suggest that they are very similar/the same kits?

My slight differences from your set up: I will be using a Prizm card. I gather that they use the Petite Crouton chassis discs rather than the NB. Do you know if the TCSS discs fit the bottom section of the Graflex kit without further modification?

Have you figured out a solution for the 7/8" heat sink, or are you going to wait for the heat sink Tim is going to offer?

Quote Originally Posted by UteOH View Post
    The pictures I have found suggest that they are very similar/the same kits?
    It's the same Korbanth graflex 2.0 kit
    Why did Isendra die? Tell me the truth!

That it is beyond your abilities does not mean it is beyond mine. I learned the lesson of Isendra's death. But I was given my power for a reason, and it is my burden to use it.
    I will use it, not fear it as you do, High Councilor Valthek

Quote Originally Posted by ColdVizjerei View Post
    It's the same Korbanth graflex 2.0 kit
    Thanks, ColdVizjerei!

After I cut my teeth on a simple stunt saber (parts on order), I will be attempting to assemble the hilt electronics for the TCSS Graflex 2.0 kit as well. I bet there are quite a few of us in the same boat, so I will be following this thread with interest.

I nabbed the same Graflex 2.0 kit from TCSS that you did. I love it! I assembled it yesterday. It is already a beautiful belt hanger. Does anyone know if it has the same internal dimensions as the Parks/Korbanth kits found elsewhere? The pictures I have found suggest that they are very similar/the same kits?

My slight differences from your set up: I will be using a Prizm card. I gather that they use the Petite Crouton chassis discs rather than the NB. Do you know if the TCSS discs fit the bottom section of the Graflex kit without further modification?

Have you figured out a solution for the 7/8" heat sink, or are you going to wait for the heat sink Tim is going to offer?
    The info I have been able to gather so far is that the ID of the grip 1-5/16" (1.3125"). I ordered the Graflex specific NB 18650 chassis disc along with the kit, but the normal disk TCSS offers are used for 1.25" (and no smaller) so I am assuming they should be fine for the build. I also found a review by Shameem on the Korbanth Graflex 2.0 and it looks like he used the recharge port chassis disk which leads me to believe I am right in my assumption.

That's good info. I may start to collect the supplies I need for my chassis build soon.

I will be interested to see how you like the heat sink, do you have the optic yet?
    Last edited by UteOH; 01-27-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Realized I add unintentionally violated forum rules

That's good info. I may start to collect the supplies I need for my chassis build soon.

I will be interested to see how you like the heat sink, do you have the optic yet?

I noticed you were still researching the blade options. I just ordered a thick-walled 34" clear blade from a seller who is running a discount on shipping:
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index...7983#msg617983
    I purchased the optic along with tri cree B/B/W from saberbay the other day. The blade will be one of the last things I order, but right now I am leaning towards the 32" from Vader's Vault. Also Update with pics above!

Hey I to have the same kit and want to do the same set up! Will you or can you post up you insides to this hilt also?
    Thanks!

I got my Graflex kit today as well and I will begin to gather my parts soon, so I'll be watching this thread.

One thing I noticed is that anything I read on this kit, people are using the Nano Biscotti. Any particular reason why?

Also, it's interesting that your calculator bubbles fell out of your clamp, I have the opposite issue as I can barely get mine halfway installed.

Please post what you plan to do regarding the activation button!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAJedi View Post
    I got my Graflex kit today as well and I will begin to gather my parts soon, so I'll be watching this thread.

One thing I noticed is that anything I read on this kit, people are using the Nano Biscotti. Any particular reason why?

Also, it's interesting that your calculator bubbles fell out of your clamp, I have the opposite issue as I can barely get mine halfway installed.

Please post what you plan to do regarding the activation button!
    Well I guess I am going to have to mod the clamp to get it to hold, perhaps some slivers of PVC to fill the space. As far as the activation buttoes goes, I was planning on having one for the red button and one inside the clamp. Honestly I didn't want to drop $100+ on a board that is to advance for what I am trying to accomplish; NB fits my wants and needs for this build. Perhaps a CFv8 will be used for my second build .

I will take more pictures of the inside when I can get my hands on some smaller allen wrenches. Which should be tomorrow. Stay tuned!