Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Self Machined - First Build - Nano v3

Default Self Machined - First Build - Nano v3

So I've decided to make a build thread of my lightsaber to keep a log of the progress along the way. I am lucky that I can use my schools machine shop to work on this project. I went through a lot of designs and finally came up with the ones shown in the pics (sorry they are a little dirty from bringing them to the shop). Other than the main 6061 aluminum body I am using all custom saber shop electronics and chassis parts with the Nano Biscotte V3.

The build is going VERY slow since I am only able to work in the shop for about 3 hours a week, so I'm trying to be patient.

The small part that is threaded on both ends is just a part I used to practice the threading. I'm not an experienced machinist at all, but with help of my teacher I've learned a lot. Threading was the most difficult thing to wrap my head around but once you get the hang of it, its not too bad.

I've still got a ways to go, but making progress slowly but surely.

Last edited by ehutch7; 04-10-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Last edited by ehutch7; 04-10-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Very good! You are very lucky, i'm waiting for the progress!!

Excellent start. I am a huge fan of scratch builds.

That's how you get exactly what you want! Very cool!

That looks greatso far!

Thanks for the comments!

Finished the second part. I threaded two sacrificial parts onto both ends of the real part and placed them in the lathe and drill chuck. That way I wouldn't have to mark up the finish on the part with all the cutting forces used to get the outside grooves. I'm going to wet sand and polish all the parts also when done. Here's a video of the setup and the finished part.

Pommel complete. Getting close to being finished.

Wow man! Amazing work . What an opportunity- I'm jealous! You're definitely making the most of it, looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanReborn View Post
    Wow man! Amazing work . What an opportunity- I'm jealous! You're definitely making the most of it, looks great.
    Thanks! Its been a great learning experience.