Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Resistor Calculation check and advice needed

Default Resistor Calculation check and advice needed

Hello, I am putting together my first build with the Graflex 2.0 and I am figuring out which resistors I will need for the Cree Tri-XP-E2 RB/RB/W. I have done some research and used this LED calculator online. http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz I just wanted to run the results by you seasoned veterans and seek some advice. I am hoping to obtain a NB V3 board powered by a 3.7 18650, I am using a 3d Printed chassis from Darth Ryo. With that said here are the specs.

Royal Blue Cree Part# XPEBRY-L1-0000-00Q01
    600mW Minimum Radiant Flux @ 350mA
    Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.41v
    Calculating = 1 ohms, 1/4W Resistor

And

White Cree Part# XPEBWT-L1-0000-00F51
    266 Minimum Luminous Flux @ 1000mA
    Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.15v
    Calculating = 1 ohms, 2W Resistor
    Depending on if this is correct, I have seen the 1 Ohms,2W resistors, but for the 1 ohms, 1/4 W what would I use?

Thanks for any advice, sorry if its a silly noob question, I really am trying to do my due diligence so I dont have to bother everyone!

voodoo

You should also do the calculation manually to see if it's correct. The calculator you used seems to have done some generous rounding, and I think you punched in some incorrect values because you should be using a much higher wattage resistor for your main dice.

Hello there. Welcome to the forums. Those values seem a little high. Sure, they'll do the job but the bigger the resistor value, the dimmer your LEDs will be. I calculate the rB @ 0.29ohms and the W @ 0.55ohms. I know there is a 0.47ohm in store, good for the rB, not sure about the closest to 0.55.
    Hope your build goes well. MTFBWY

Ran your values through the same calculator as it is the same one I use for double checking when building prototypes. I got 1 ohm 2w for both green and r-blue. But as mentioned above the algorithm the calculator runs rounds to the nearest most commonly available resistor size, usually to the full or 1/2 ohms and 1/4, 1/2, or whole watts.

Edit: Just realized you had the blue @ 350mA not the max...so yeah it does give 1 ohm 1/4 watt.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 01-06-2016 at 02:24 PM.

I am trying to do this manual without a calculator and I am a bit confused. So R= U/I, making for the RB LED for example R=3.7-3.41 / I. I am so new to this and its probably right there in front of me but where am I getting the I value to finish the equation?

Fenix- The 350mA was just what was listed on the product info, should I be using a different number for this if it is not the max? should I figure at 1000 like the RB? Sorry, trying to figure all this out haha

Blog Entries

The 350mA is in reference to radiant flux measurement. You only need to be concerned with forward voltage and the max current rating of 1000mA.

because we deal with 1000mA (all Cree colors), you can simply just subtract the forward voltage from the battery voltage and that will give you your requirements.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-06-2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Got rid of confusing text.

Awesome that makes it a lot easier! So now I just find a Resistor which is equal or greater to that result, preferable as close to the value as possible so I can have the smallest resister possible to keep the force strong in the led

Blog Entries

Yep. Greenie had it there all along

TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Yep. Greenie had it there all along
    Oh yes! I was just trying to figure out how he did it! All the help got me there and I really appreciate it. I didnt know the general (I) values to LED's and colors so I was kind of confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Thanks that helped big time, I did the formula for myself to make it make sense and the info there really helped.

<R>(ohms)= Vfbattery - VfLed / I

<P>(Watts)= R* (I^2)

Royal Blue
    (R)= 3.7v - 3.41v / 1A = .29
    (P)=.29 * (1)^2= .29
    I did the whole equation on RB just to burn it in. Guess when (I) = 1A I can do it the easy way in the future.

Thanks a lot guys!
    Last edited by Count Voodoo; 01-06-2016 at 04:15 PM.