Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: DCLS-004 Build Log

Blog Entries

These are good options too. Thank you.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I like some of those reveal door ideas! Some seems a lot more complicated than others obviously though. Can't wait to see what you do!

I think you might be getting too complicated on the linkages and mechanisms, especially for printed parts. I would suggest taking a look at the battery/SD card door on a Canon Powershot Elph series camera. The mechanism is a simple friction fit hinge that allows it to slide and pivot. Most importantly I have seen it accomplished in an SLA build with only a slight material thickness increase. It was built on a standard resolution SLA500 so it had to be brought up to minimum print resolution. Work with the SLS provide and they will let you know what features may be too small to print.

Blog Entries

Sweet! Will do.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    I would suggest taking a look at the battery/SD card door on a Canon Powershot Elph series camera. The mechanism is a simple friction fit hinge that allows it to slide and pivot.
    Oh hey, I have one of those haha

Blog Entries

So I was doing a little research on hinges and I remembered one of Harp's builds where he made a hinged plate in an Obi grenade section. So, I PM'd him on FX to see if he was ok with me using the same idea and he was more than happy to let me go ahead with it. It's simple, elegant, and Harp has already done the proof of concept

If you've never seen his builds I suggest taking a gander, he's very talented. Here's the build I am referencing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Tf...ature=youtu.be

The design incorporates two 60 degree curved arms with pivot points on the edge of the main body and in the center of the lid. This creates a nice fluid up and over motion and leaves a heap of space to dig in there for the SD card or repairs, etc..

Last edited by darth_chasm; 07-20-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Very simple and elegant! I like

I noticed you omitted the beveled corners on the lid. Why was that?

Blog Entries

This was a separate file that I made to test out all the mechanisms I was trying. At one point I took off the bevels for one of the ideas and never put them back. But they're still in the main file.

I like that one a lot better then the other ideas, and it will probably function the best

Blog Entries

In a little bit of a holding pattern on printing parts while I wait for some more things to be delivered. I want to make sure I have all the actual components like the led holders, ports and so on so I can measure them precisely and get their respective spaces carved out of the models just right.

So what do I do? I go and make tweaks to the design...again haha. Mostly cosmetic, some functional.

I included an led adapter into the design. If I can figure out how to do some plunger style buttons and use low profile tact switches, I think I can make the core removable without the need for connectors. I have an idea I think may work.

***See first post***

I'll be using some mill max gold plated solder cup headers for the rice and recharge connections, which you've already seen will be placed in the but of the core. If you look closely, you can also see that I carved in a couple of arrows to indicate polarity. Don't want to get that mixed up . I'll also mark the male plugs coming from the cables.

***See first post***

I read the packaging wrong on those tiny faux hex bolts. There are only 20 not 50. So i reduce the number of spaces they would appear appropriately. No big loss.

***See first post***

I re-did the surface designs and shapes on the battery/board casing. You can also see where the hinges for the lid are positioned. I like that the somewhat integrate into the design. I also added some lines and shapes here and there throughout the pieces and cut some sound holes into the speaker/switch mount piece.

***See first post***

Aside from messing with the core design-I've decided to stop using the word final-I also toyed around with some crystal ideas. If you've ever went crystal hunting, you know that it can be a little bit of a PITA. No one wants to give you accurate sizes, you never know what you're going to get, etc. So rather than deal with all the fuss, and to do something a little different I think, I bought a bunch of tiny points and shards and thought it would be cool to do a crystal cluster for my focusing crystal. The primary crystal is a leftover from an old pack.

***Missing***

And finally, my hidden wiring solution. A few of us have been inspired by slothfurnace and his use of metal conduit and it was something I was thinking about incorporating a while back. But with all the interest and talk around it recently, I wanted something else, something different. SO I went out and picked up some 20 awg brass wire, chucked up a 3/32 rod in the drill and spun the wire to make some coil sleeving. This produced something around a 3/16 OD with enough ID to snugly fit 7 28 awg wires through. The ends of the coil will easily slip into their corresponding sockets I modeled into the body of the core. There are four conduits, so I have plenty of room for the 14 wires I need to route.

Last edited by darth_chasm; 07-20-2018 at 04:08 PM.