Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: DCLS-004 Build Log

I can't wait to see this saber.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    Dang, I can't wait to see this finished! You, my friend, are exceptionally talented at saber design. The reveal core just looks amazing at this point, and the exterior looks pretty cool as well
    Thanks bud, but I have a long way to go. Some say ideas are easy, making them real is the real challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Squints View Post
    DUDE COME ON !!!!!!
    It's amazing you have come a long way and this thing is gonna be mind blowing
    I need to get some cad software and try it out, I have so many ideas just need to get my invisions on to screen and there are some sweet chassis ideas I have i would like 3D printed
    123d Design my friend. Its free and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Wow. This is truly coming together nicely. Very professional looking. I can't wait to see it completed.
    Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    I can't wait to see this saber.
    Me either

I got a crazy idea last night. What do you guys think about me adding a hinge system to the lid? Something where the lid moves up and back. Similar to Iron Man's helmet.

Any thoughts on how to do it? Space is at a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Some say ideas are easy, making them real is the real challenge.
    This is what I'm afraid of for my build haha. It's crazy well planned and I tried to make the design as simple and robust as possible but I fear that everything will go wrong once I start :P

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I got a crazy idea last night. What do you guys think about me adding a hinge system to the lid? Something where the lid moves up and back. Similar to Iron Man's helmet.

Any thoughts on how to do it? Space is at a premium.
    That does sound like a crazy idea. I know of a couple ways you could make a relatively small set of linkages to achieve an Iron Man style panel, but how you make it depends on what material the linkage arms are made of. You could also (at the cost of slightly more space) make it a spring-loaded linkage which snaps open and closed with a small spring or even a rubber band. However it would be extremely difficult to make something that small, but still stable. I bet it's doable though.

EDIT: It might be possible to integrate such a linkage right into your chassis, as SLS parts can have integrated moving parts and hinges. However this might require some prototyping first.
    Last edited by NanoRex; 01-18-2016 at 07:58 PM.

You should try the hinge..I was thinking about doing to my metal chassis you can pick up miniature hinges at hobby lobby or Michaels

Blog Entries

Maybe something like this...

Hmm...I'm not entirely convinced. I think you be better off with a four bar linkage or just straight up hinge. The setup you have there seems fragile, even if the arms were made thicker.

Blog Entries

Definitely this was just a test for the motion. As is it would snap like a twig. There would be two more arms on the opposing side and I'll need to build up some support material in the lid and body.

Here's a hand-drawn diagram of a simple four bar linkage that will give you an Iron Man sort of effect. It would also be pretty easy to add a spring to. However personally I would use a parallelogram linkage so that the cover always stays parallel to the body.

IMG_20160119_121732.jpg
    Last edited by NanoRex; 01-19-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks. I'll see what I can do. I think space is a big issue with either of those though. I may have to resort to the "keep it simple stupid" paradigm and go for a side hinge.

Other option I see what how you drew, some type of a sliding door would look cool too, think like a battery door on a remote. Either that or a couple posts that latch when you press on them, like a latching button and when you push it in it locks when you push on it again it springs upwards and out of the way.

- Bambua