Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DCLS-004 Build Log

Random thought as I was getting off for the night. Try getting quotes for the following to see how it effects the pricing. Break each ring and 1/2 the post into separate sections to get rid of the undercuts from having a two ring piece. Also quote it with two sections combined. In this process the labor for the mold making is the most costly, so depending on many factors either of those options might be cheaper than the other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Btw what cad software are you using? It looks like 123design or fusion360. It has a nice and fairly correct perspective to the views.
    Yep, 123d. Easy to use, gets the job done for these purposes. I also use AI to make svg's that I import into 123d, but I'm trying to ween myself off of doing that.

Random thought as I was getting off for the night. Try getting quotes for the following to see how it effects the pricing. Break each ring and 1/2 the post into separate sections to get rid of the undercuts from having a two ring piece. Also quote it with two sections combined. In this process the labor for the mold making is the most costly, so depending on many factors either of those options might be cheaper than the other.
    Will do. Thanks for the tips.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Impressive! Really want to see more of what you have planned for the outside too

Whoa! That's an impressive design and excellent CAD work. Number four already, I can't keep up. My number two is a WIP, 95% done. Just a few aesthetics. I have number three in mind.
    Can't wait to see this one come together, with such meticulous planning, I guess it'll be awesome

Oh, and thanks buddy

Blog Entries

Small update. I reworked the design of the brass disk structure. I'm really happy with the way this piece came out. Kind of looks like some weird spine or ribcage. It's all one piece now. I learned that combining the pieces as one reduced the printing cost. I also learned that I can do it in steel in a selection of finishes rather than having it cast in brass. This brings it down in cost quite a bit.

I also redesigned the the forward end cap which also serves as the seat for the crystal. This piece is pretty awesome looking with all the little details. It will house the 5mm led holder and a diy 4 segment smd bar graph that I'll be making.

Last edited by darth_chasm; 07-20-2018 at 03:52 PM.

That's gorgeous! I think it's super cool and eagerly await its fabrication.

I really love this new design for the chamber! My favourite part is actually the first black piece you showed. The detail on that part is astounding!

Will you be making your own PCB for the bar graph? How will that be mounted?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    Will you be making your own PCB for the bar graph? How will that be mounted?
    Still debating. I have the PCB designed and ready to go for production, but I have a feeling it may be more of a headache than I want to deal with. I think it'll work just fine with some perf board trimmed to size. I'll probably secure it in there with either hot glue or some Locktite putty.

Blog Entries

Nice work.
    Thanks and thanks for the tips. I found out the process for the plastic parts is SLS. And the steel is done with bronze induction. I'm sure you know more about that.