Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: DCLS-004 Build Log

Blog Entries

So close to the end!

Finished up the pommel. I used a couple of 16 gauge copper jewelry disc blanks, 1" washer, brass plated steel thumb screw and nut. I soldered the washer to one of the discs. The washer fits snugly into the open end of the pommel and holds everything in place. Then I drilled the two discs for the screw to pass through. I cut a strip of copper and formed it to act as the keep for the ring. And finally, formed the ring. I added a bit of twist to the ring to keep it from flopping around and making too much noise.

***Missing***

I felt the clamp I had on the ribbed section looked a little too common and of "our world" so I "revised" it by cutting a little piece of copper sheet, drilling and forming it to some thing I liked. Then I repurposed one of the button inserts I goofed on previously to act as a washer. I like this so much better.

***Missing***

Here's a little shot of the weathering in progress.

***Missing***

A while back I changed my plan to use a micro switch and installed a 1.35mm recharge port instead. I am using a bit of pen tube and a small screw inserted in one end as the kill key.

***Missing***

Lastly, I replaced the mini speaker with a 28mm premium. Much happier with this. Without going into too much detail, using the 28mm speaker makes it impossible to make the core fully removable. Im ok with that. Rather have it sound good than try to make a gimmick work.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 07-20-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Blog Entries

Last Update to the build log. Thank God, right? Anyway, no more major build things to show. Just some final touches then I'll post some beauty shots in the gallery and hopefully a video too.

Cut the sound vents and inserted the copper mesh. Two simple holes drilled then joined with small files. The mesh was a little difficult at first, but after a few tries I figured out the best way to go about it. I cut it to a rough pill shape slightly larger than the holes. Then used some bent brass rod and my fingers to form it in the hole on the outside of the hilt first. Once the basic shape was formed, I inserted the mesh from the inside and got it to a point where it filled the entire hole nicely. Last, I dabbed some super glue around the inside of the holes and slid the mesh into place.

So that's it for the build updates. I've learned a lot from this build and hope some others have as well. It has also given me a bunch of new ideas which I can't wait to start playing around with.

If there's anything you're interested in that I may not have covered fully or breezed over, please feel free to drop a comment or PM me. Happy to talk about most of what I've done. And again, thanks for all the positive feedback. It was really motivating and pushed me to make this the best that my abilities and resources allowed.

Gallery Pics

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...light=dcls-004
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 07-20-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Looks real good bro...can't wait to see it all together glowing an humming and all that fun stuff. Can't start on my saber till they move to the new shop and get my saber parts back in stock so i can start building my dream saber...lol.

What a place to be with your saber, and how incredible a job you've done with everything. I've absolutely loved following your build; you've come up with some quite creative ways of putting together this whole thing and making it a saber that truly stands out. I've even garnered a little inspiration from your doings. Thanks for sharing your process with us, Darth Chasm!

Wow, DC! I think this has got to be the most inspirational thread I've ever followed . Amazing work. I'm relatively new to the scene and I'm really looking to get into this style of building- eventually wanna achieve that wow factor, and amazing level of detail that you and guys like harp etc. do so well- VERY cool to be able to see all this. Thanks for keeping this going.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RevanReborn View Post
    Wow, DC! I think this has got to be the most inspirational thread I've ever followed . Amazing work. I'm relatively new to the scene and I'm really looking to get into this style of building- eventually wanna achieve that wow factor, and amazing level of detail that you and guys like harp etc. do so well- VERY cool to be able to see all this. Thanks for keeping this going.
    No problem. Glad you've found it useful. I have to say, I can only hope to be half as good as harp someday. He's a true master, I'm but the learner .

DC, this looks so amazing man!!! Great work!!! Look forward to seeing what you create in the future.

Wow!

I'm making a saber and I hope I can achieve something as beautiful and detailed as your incredible work! (But I know I won't )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anoril View Post
    Wow!

I'm making a saber and I hope I can achieve something as beautiful and detailed as your incredible work! (But I know I won't )
    Thanks! I am sure your build will be epic.