Thread: DCLS-004 Build Log

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post DCLS-004 Build Log

UPADTE 2018:

So photobucket screwed a lot of us and ruined a lot of great archives. This build log being one of them. I've tried to update this as best I can but some pictures are gone forever.

The early iterations of the design are gone. But this is where I ended up.

This one is pretty involved and will probably take a while to finish and I'm sure a lot of things will change along the way.

I have a design for the exterior, but am holding off sharing it until I can confirm with Tim what can be done.

Electronics are Prizm, 18650

As far as the internals are concerned, I am planning on a full reveal dual crystal core. I've decided to go the 3D printed route because of the flexibility it lends in me being able to do exactly what I want thus maximizing my ability to save space. As a side note, please don't ask where, how, who in regards to the 3D printing. We all now the rules

Ok, here we go.

Here?s a quick full view and a little see through to see how things are taking shape internally.

There are 6 main components to the chassis at this point. May increase/decrease as I go. It?s all modular so that I can pretty much just stack and build as I go. Starting from left to right: Rear End Cap, Battery/Board Housing, Forward Battery/Board Housing End Cap/Crystal 1 Seat, Crystal 2 Seat, Locking Disc and Switch Mount, and Mini Speaker Holder.

The rear end cap will obviously be used to keep the battery in place as well as serve as the mounting place for a mini RICE and recharge connections. The plan is to also have a mini slide switch to be used rather than a kill key. Again, all for the sake of saving space and maximizing the real estate for the crystal display.

You can see below I?ve cut a notch in the battery cylinder so that I can loop the wire back into the housing. Having the battery the other way would require the wires to go past the board. Not really ideal.

The battery/board housing has a lift off lid for two purposes. One, to persevere the appearance and two, for easy access. The lid has 4 small pegs that fit into corresponding holes in the main housing. The board sits nicely in a form fit ?pocket? that allows access to the SD card and wire passage above and below.

The crystal display is still a very much WIP. I?m tinkering with the design of pieces and checking out pricing for both plastic and metal. Ideally, I would like some metal pieces, but if it proves to be too cost prohibitive, I?ll most likely go the plastic route and do some creative painting. Here?s a look of the progress so far.

The locking disc and switch mount are 1 piece. The reason I made this piece so long is to have it run the length of the threaded sections and provide some stability. It will be held in place with a couple strategically placed set screws. The locking lip will sit between the two extensions and provide just a little more stability and aid in spacing.

Last is the mini speaker mount. Fairly straight forward. Allows enough room for all main led wires. I plan on cutting some holes/slots in the extension it sits in to allow for sound escape.

The entire core measures 7.625" long. The battery/board housing and rear end cap measure in at 3". An the crystal chamber is a whopping 2.6"!!

Well, that?s it for now. I?ll update as I go and most likely change things.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 07-20-2018 at 04:53 PM.