Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 1/4 sinktube

Default 1 1/4 sinktube

What does the 1/14 sink tube fit? I'm guessing the inside of the MHS parts right?
    "The Force is my Ally"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Why would you need to put a sink tube inside and MHS hilt?

They are for people who like to make smaller diameter hilts, which are mostly practical for EL hilts, I don't know of you could do and LED hilt with one. I don't think I've seen anyone try, but maybe I never noticed, if someone did.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

They're generally used to make thin hilts or thin parts on thicker hilts. You can make an LED saber with them; I myself have made two that use Star/O LEDs. Here's a few photos of the best one:
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...assaber001.jpg
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ignited001.jpg

Strydur's going to have some LED blade holder parts made for these tubes in the future.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/fo...pic.php?t=1949

I thought that maybe there for the hilt designs that have several layers.
    "The Force is my Ally"

Default Re: 1 1/4 sinktube

Quote Originally Posted by JediHilt
    What does the 1/14 sink tube fit? I'm guessing the inside of the MHS parts right?
    It doesn't fit inside. Not without some serious sanding I'm guessing, but it doesn't dry-fit. I've tried it.

Why would you want one to fit inside they ask? Because someone like me might want to make an Obi-Wan EpI-style saber with the main hilt body at a smaller OD than the emitter. And yeah, because layers look cool.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

One of my customers says they slide inside a MHS to sink tube adapter. I still havent tried it myself yet though.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

I had asked if they do or not.
    I would love to know definitively if they will fit into the adapter or not as that would blow the possible designs WIDE open.
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I just tested it and a 1.25" sink pipe fits nice and snug inside a MHS to sink tube adapter.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

nice !!!
    I will be adding a few adapters to my months end order then!
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Hi all... Novastar here (from Balance of Power)...

Tim was mentioning that one of his customers said that you can fit a 1.25" tube INSIDE the MHS 2 sink coupler... that would be me.

This leads to a thinner pipe below the emitter and so forth (and a slightly lighter overall weight), but chokepoints are usually best up near the emitter--where the forward hand goes. Anyhow.

I will say the following about this, though:

* You must sand the inside of the coupler--I recommend a drill w/ sander wheel, checking for a very tight but smooth fit every few sandings
    * You should at least ATTEMPT to "thread" the tube where the coupler screw holes are. Do your best to get it right
    * When you drill your holes in the sink tube, first drill and thread ONE hole, insert a screw, and then be precise on the rest!
    * The drilling and threading WILL alter your super tight fit, so be aware of that...!
    * If you are off by even a little bit--you will have some "rocking" going on with this setup. To control this, either get it right, or try to cushion the super thin gaps with something rubbery like electrical tape or what not.

I would only recommend this to people who know WHY they are doing it, and ONLY if there is good reason. Otherwise--you might be frustrated if you fail to be super precise in the sanding.

If you have some machine that can do it *EXACT*... well, you should be dandy fine.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide