Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First build (StuntSaber), Build Check.

Congrats. I have a triple deep red at home I haven't gotten around to using. It's the only color I haven't seen in person so I figured I'd check it out buuuuuut as of right now, it's still in the envelope it shipped in. To be honest, it'll probably be a while before I wire it up. No need for it right now. However... my 2 tri rebels for my saberstaff shipped the other day and I can't wait to wire those up even though I'm still missing several pieces for the hilt.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    Congrats. I have a triple deep red at home I haven't gotten around to using. It's the only color I haven't seen in person so I figured I'd check it out buuuuuut as of right now, it's still in the envelope it shipped in. To be honest, it'll probably be a while before I wire it up. No need for it right now. However... my 2 tri rebels for my saberstaff shipped the other day and I can't wait to wire those up even though I'm still missing several pieces for the hilt.
    Thank you! I'm quite pleased with deep red, even this 1-up shines very well. I'd imagine a triple would be fun to work with!

I still want to rework the hilt and get my diffusion roll right before i post pictures, so im going to focus on that before i post them. The diffusion was easy following Jay-Gon's guide, i just need to make my cuts straighter and my rolls thicker- otherwise, it illuminates beautifully. Even in daylight, the light is very noticeable- but it is running at its maximum power rating.

Im also looking at new hilt material. I'd love to make my 1" OD heatsink work with a larger ID hilt, so thats kind of in the works. I still have enough spare parts for one more saber, as planned- one more deep red 1-up ready to go.

I figure this first pvc hilt was and will be my "Test" hilt- It works, its sturdy for now, but I for sure do not want to spar with it quite yet- maybe even another layer of pvc over it would help it stand up to the blade.

As other have said, the hilt will break before the blade ever does and just swinging it around makes the pvc creak ever so slightly. I'm considering just getting some aluminum pipes in the meantime.

To the community and everyone who contributed to this thread: Thank you for the help, advice and schematics! Next step: Aluminum pipes for something a little more durable for duels.

EDIT: I forgot to grab my resistors, derp. May have to return those 18650's if I want to keep using that nice 700mA buckpuck- any ideas on this one, guys?
    Last edited by Jay-mo; 01-09-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: See "EDIT:"

Here's a tip: Do you use the white, plumbing PVC? Use the gray, electrical conduit PVC. It has more flex to it and it's less prone to snapping than plumbing PVC.

I'm not sure what you're asking in your edit. Ideas for what?
    ERUDITION

If you want ideas on what to do with those batteries, just build more sabers for them.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-mo View Post
    I still want to rework the hilt and get my diffusion roll right before i post pictures, so im going to focus on that before i post them. The diffusion was easy following Jay-Gon's guide, i just need to make my cuts straighter and my rolls thicker- otherwise, it illuminates beautifully. Even in daylight, the light is very noticeable- but it is running at its maximum power rating.
    Building my own blades from scratch, was one of the most difficult things I had to learn/do for my sabers. I will say, practice does improve quality, and it is more of an art/skill, than science. Just remember, no matter how much you get better at it, there will just be that occasional time when nothing works right, and you just have to walk away, and try again later. I can tell you one time it took me several tries (and several different wraps, as I kept messing them up) to the point I swore, I'd buy blades pre-made from then on. Came back a few days later to give it one last try, and nailed it first time, piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-mo View Post
    EDIT: I forgot to grab my resistors, derp. May have to return those 18650's if I want to keep using that nice 700mA buckpuck- any ideas on this one, guys?
    Well, you can't run a buckpuck with a single 3.7v 18650, as it doesn't meet the minimum voltage requirement. If you have a 7.4v "pack" (two 18650's in series), then you could use the buckpuck (though that battery setup takes up A LOT of space).

Resistors are cheap, and would probably be easier to find/buy, than returning the batteries.
    Last edited by bigkevin61; 01-10-2016 at 11:48 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Well, I had to rewrite this because my batteries arrived mid-post: Two new ThorFire Protected 18650 Batteries and some basic 18650 holders with wire leads. Someone must have thrown an extra set of holders into my package, because I got 4 battery holders instead of 2! All the more for my growing "Spare Saber Parts" bin. It is also the first time I have EVER bought LI-ion's with the word "Fire" in the name.

Checking the batteries I just got
    : I put both new batteries into my nitecore 4-cell charger, just to see if they were shipped charged and if my charger would work with the "Nipple" top. It was a tight fit, but they are charging and do fit safely, so that is reassuring. Both clocked in at 3.83v when I put them into my charger, so thats nice to see my batteries are at the same power level and have the potential to be "Mated" in a set/series, if I go that route. As usual for all my 18650's, I'll charge them on the "Low" setting only.

It is kind of funny that I've had my packages arrive mid-post two times now.. Maybe three? I digress.

On the battery question/ "EDIT" in my last post: I was kind of thinking of ideas on how to make my new 18650's work with my current buckpucks- I already have the buckpucks, so I figure I should at least make use of those. Wiring in series is an option, as is a simple resistor.

@Miraluka: Yes, I used "White" pvc, scheduled 40 if I recall. I did pick up a large length of electrical conduit PVC (The kind used in Jay-gon's original guide) to make some sleeves for reinforcement and general aesthetics. After a few minor durability tests, I think it will stand up to sparring, especially with the sleeve's that are in the works. Probably not "Full-out-Gorilla" sparring, but good enough for my friends and I. However, I will advise friends to use electrical conduit PVC if, or rather when, they decide to join in.

@Jay-gon Jinn: I like the way you think . I have enough spare parts to make some gifts in the future, and at least enough parts to make my own MHS hilt down the road. I'd still like to make my 1" OD heatsink work with the MHS system, so I'll be looking into that specifically this week...I cannot believe I'm already close to ordering a MHS hilt after this project. Again, major thanks to you in particular for that PVC guide- it's what made the idea of making my own saber seem doable and really sucked me in.

I did look at the sinktubes the other day, and decided I'd rather not mess with them quite yet. The threads didn't feel like they would hold up for long, and were pretty damn sharp/poorly made...Maybe I'll try another store.

Funny store from the "Plumbing Section" though- I did notice a kid and his mother out who were sizing up sinktubes/seemed a little frustrated, and simply said "Hilt troubles?". I then told them about this site and all the resources available, and they took note of it. The look on their faces when I said "Hilt trouble?" was priceless and it was nice to see some younglings getting into the hobby with their parents support.

@bigkevin61: You are right, it would be a lot of cramfu if I wired up 2 18650's in series to run the buckpuck, but I don't mind longer hilts to be honest- I have big hands. I forgot the resistors, however, and think I'll get some next time I order from TCSS. I think it may warrant saving the 18650's for a MHS hilt.

Rolling my own film is difficult- there is for sure an art to it, but I've found that a 2nd person to help hold the cellophane in place for the first wrap helps a lot. I suspect folding the cellophane over itself, then rolling, will help me get a cleaner looking tip. My current one was not cut straight, and you can for sure see the lines near the tip- but thats why I have 3 rolls of cellophane from a sale.

Anyhow, I'll give the 18650's a test later or maybe just save them for a MHS hilt.

Oh! I'll also try to get a decent looking grip/wrap on my hilt so it is somewhat photo-worthy. Either way, it is my first hilt I suppose- it was not meant for detail, only function and as a "Test". I'll probably post pictures at least when I reroll the film.
    Last edited by Jay-mo; 01-11-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Misc/additional info

That's funny about the hilt troubles. Reminds me of Breaking Bad... if you've ever watched that show.
    ERUDITION

Quote Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
    That's funny about the hilt troubles. Reminds me of Breaking Bad... if you've ever watched that show.
    Oh I have- Love it. Gotta love the scene where he catches the two guys with the sketchy shopping cart! Not many tv series I like either, currently only watching Orphan Black and waiting on The Wind of Winter.. I digress.

UPDATE: My 2nd hilt was crafted last night. Now designed around making a durable sparring hilt- and I do believe this one will hold up to the test. This time I found someone locally who sells quality aluminum, cut to size, without making my wallet bleed!

Very simple start, but it lights up. Hand-tapped some threads for the retention screw, and simply put a hole in it for the button. I'm going to focus on detailing it before I get pictures up, the first saber I post will hopefully look half-decent.
    Last edited by Jay-mo; 01-14-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: More info