Thread: Mace Windu Conversion with Cree RGBW Led

Default Mace Windu Conversion with Cree RGBW Led

I have a Mace TCSS conversion kit and I bought two Cree LEDs to mess around with. One is a Cree XML-RGBW and the other is a Cree MCE-RGBW. Anyone have any experience with these LEDs?

I know I need to mix red and blue to make the blade purple. The question is do I wire the Red/Blue in series or parallel, which LED would be better, and how would I wire it to the MR Mace Windu board?

If there's a better option I'm open to that as well.

Cree XML-RGBW

Cree MCE-RGBW

Thanks!
    Last edited by teddyjo; 01-19-2016 at 03:37 PM.

I just ordered the Cree XML-RGBW and am going to convert my Mace Windu. Ordered the kit yesterday.
    I have never done this type of work, but am going to break the ice on this one.
    I will let you know how it turns out.

To answer your question, Teddy, you would need to wire the led's in parallel, so you can control the current to the red to get you your purple or violet blade color. Run the blue directly from the board, and try a few different resistors on the red until you get the shade you like. Or, if you want to be more precise and have the tools to do it, you could temporarily install a potentiometer on the red, adjust it until you get the color, then measure the resistance and replace the pot with the appropriate resistor. Using anything other than a triple color led is somewhat wasteful on this set up, since the board can only provide between 1000ma-1400ma, depending on the type of batteries you use, so you cannot fully drive more than two of the led's.

Done right, you can get a really nice shade:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.