Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MPP "Vader" Saber Blade Holder and Heatsink

Exclamation MPP "Vader" Saber Blade Holder and Heatsink

Hey guys,

I'm getting an MPP replica from parksabers.com and I am having problems finding a blade holder or a heatsink made for that.

I also haven't had any luck trying to find anyone that has done this before.

Surely there are some parts and someone else has done this before?

There are no parts in the store here to do what you are looking for, at least none that will not need extra work to make them fit. You'll have to look elsewhere on the internet,. as was suggested to you in the first topic regarding your question that you posted here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...rth-Vader-hilt

Also, please stop posting the same question in multiple places, that's a really good way to get on the Moderator's bad side.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Do you know the Inner Diameter of the Replica MPP? I would start by looking here for the closest (rounding up) number to it and then pay Tim to turn it down to fit inside the MPP. If there are no existing Blade Holders that are larger than the opening, you may have to Email Tim and ask about the possibility of getting one custom made.

Please do keep me posted on what you find out about this, because I was actually planning the exact same conversion once my finances recover a bit from the holidays...

I think slothfurnace had the best solution in the following thread (Scroll down to post #25):
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...hfurnace+vader
    I like how he kept the retention spring and ring on the emitter.
    The OD of the MPP is 1.5" so the ID is a little under that (1.45" +/-). So I think a modified blank blade holder, or a modified 1.5" sink tube blade holder should work. I've been planning on doing a Heiland based Vader for a while, but can't find the time.
    Be careful about buying a certain MPP blade socket that exists out there for 3/4" blades, as I found the hard way that it does not have a means of installing an LED and heat sink. I discarded the idea of using it and decided it would be easier to modify a TCSS sink tube blade holder in a similar way that slothfurnace did, and I could use a 1" blade.

I've read on this forum (but can't immediately find a reference URL) that the MR/Hasbro Vader kit will work with a Heiland flash handle. I do not know if the Parks' replica is the same ID as the MPP, MR/Hasbro, and Heiland, so this is not advice; it is just information.

I had been thinking about trying an MR/Hasbro Vader kit in a Heiland, so I just got one from TCSS last week to try it out, and it did not work.
    The OD of the MR/Hasbro kit is significantly smaller than the ID of the Heiland. There's a large gap all around making it too loose. Looking at this picture:
    IMG_3699.jpg
    of a converted MR from this thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...kits-available it looks like the walls of the MR are more than double the thickness of the Heiland. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

It may just be the perspective on that picture but it doesn't look like too bad of a gap... a few set screw may be able to hold it in there fine

I've tried the Vader conversion kit on my MPP and it's much too loose to work with. The Graflex adapter is the same size and can be made to work if you're in a pinch. Plus, it's powdercoated so it looks nice under the slots.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I've tried the Vader conversion kit on my MPP and it's much too loose to work with. The Graflex adapter is the same size and can be made to work if you're in a pinch. Plus, it's powdercoated so it looks nice under the slots.
    Good to know!

*cough* aluminum HVAC tape works well to take up gaps between loose fitting parts. Not for parts that are "hotdog down a hallway" sloppy fitting, but within 10 or 20 thou, it works great.