Thread: Newer econo board speaker warning

Default Newer econo board speaker warning

Just a heads up, since I just learned it the hard way. The wire contact board on the factory speaker is only taped to the speaker, and the contact wire going to the cone is a single strand of hair fine copper. The board breaks off the speaker very easily...might want to pick up a speaker with the rest of the parts. I'll have to order mine separate now.

I haven't had that experience with my econo boards. I did however get a new speaker because it came with a 1/4 watt speaker and the ones at TCSS are 2 watt. Huge difference in sound volume and quantity!

Maybe it is just an issue with the Ezra Bridger model. The factory wires came unsoldered when my son was just playing with it before I started to harvest the parts. I just soldered on the new 26 gage wires, and picked up the speaker, the weight of the wires pealed the tape and the board off.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 12-27-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Wow, that sounds really cheap. I'm surprised they'd put their name on something that shoddy. I'd like to think that's a bad one that got through QA and not the design.

Looked up the speaker on my alibaba account and it is a $.25 speaker in a minimum quantity of 100...so in the quantities they were purchased it would be pennies.

I used a Rey blade board in my lady's hilt and the wiring for the speaker was very poor. I got it out of the Hasbro hilt easily enough, but the wiring simple broke loose just sitting on the bench. The pads on the board pulled off with very little stress, fortunately I was able to scrape back and get a microscopic bit of trace I could get a bead of solder on.

The clash sensor for the most part simply won't activate. Then suddenly, as it idles, you'd think I was tangling with a barrel of mongoose.
    edit: upon closer inspection the pad for the clash sensor was also pulled off, so I scraped and soldered and now it works much better.

I'm not sure if I just got a bad board. Two might be a coincidence, but three is probably a pattern and I've seen another post where it looks like components are just flat out missing.

Rather than fight with another BB board for me, I'll probably just wait until I can drop a dime on a NB.
    Last edited by jbkuma; 05-24-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Those economy boards have notoriously bad solder jobs. Anytime I use one, I like to redo all the solder joints and replace their cheap wire.

The NB is a much better choice of course.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Those economy boards have notoriously bad solder jobs. Anytime I use one, I like to redo all the solder joints and replace their cheap wire.

The NB is a much better choice of course.
    Yes resolder everything and just get the premium speaker. The one hasbro is using is $0.80 each in quantities of 10 or more. Quality stuff!