Thread: Hoping for a 2nd look on my first saber build

Default Hoping for a 2nd look on my first saber build

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forum here for a few days trying to get my head around the nuances of saber building. I'm completing new to electrical engineering so I wanted to make sure everything is correct. The only thing I purposely left out is the additional wiring and heatshrink. The Luxeon Rebel Star in the TSCC wishlist is only a place holder. I'll provide a link below with the LED i'll be using. If you see anything that I forgot or won't jive, please let me know. I appreciate any and all comments. Thank you for your time.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Vi...5-1ab454da86b5

I'll be using this LED http://www.luxeonstar.com/royal-blue...tar-led-1030mw

Hello there, welcome to the forums. The list looks pretty good BigKuhuna. You will still need an LED module and copper heatsink and would just point out that the switch is black anodised (just in case you wanted chrome), the dynaohm has + & - legs when wiring and I don't know the specs of your chosen led but a 1.2ohm resistor seems a little high for a blue based on your battery choice. Oh and at $1 each, get a spare thermal tape pad, it's easy to mess up the first one (or it was for me lol)
    Hope this is of some help

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Hello there, welcome to the forums. The list looks pretty good BigKuhuna. You will still need an LED module and copper heatsink and would just point out that the switch is black anodised (just in case you wanted chrome), the dynaohm has + & - legs when wiring and I don't know the specs of your chosen led but a 1.2ohm resistor seems a little high for a blue based on your battery choice. Oh and at $1 each, get a spare thermal tape pad, it's easy to mess up the first one (or it was for me lol)
    Hope this is of some help

Great, thanks for the help. Is this what I need for the LED? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/He...bes-P1027.aspx . Wow, I can't believe I missed that. I'm glad you pointed that. I'm not surprised that my resistor is off. I found FJK's Ohm formula but my math has always been awful. Using a calculator I found on someones sig line, it recommends a 1.2 ohms 1w . Would agree with that? Again, thank you so much.

Blog Entries

Welcome.

No, that heat sink is not compatible with MHS blade holders. There is an option to choose which heat sink you want on the blade holder's product page.

You are not using the right numbers for the calculator. You need to use 3.5v for your led forward voltage and 1000mA for the current.

Try this. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...tyle-P841.aspx
    You should be ok running a blue at 1000mA (I), so find out the forward voltage of your led, subtract that from the 3.7v of your battery and that will give you (V) in ohms law
    Is there a particular reason you are not getting your led from TCSS? They have Rebels and Crees, single and triples and the Crees outperform the rebels
    Looking again at your list, don't forget to order a drilling service for your switch, you can check Madcow's tutorial for ordering the correct hole if you're unsure. You may also wanna grab a blade plug

Edit: curse that darth chasm lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Edit: curse that darth chasm lol

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Welcome.

No, that heat sink is not compatible with MHS blade holders. There is an option to choose which heat sink you want on the blade holder's product page.

You are not using the right numbers for the calculator. You need to use 3.5v for your led forward voltage and 1000mA for the current.
    Ah, I see it now. Thank you very much. Oh ok, I need to use the maximum rated drive current along with the maximum forward voltage. That makes sense. The calculator shows 1ohm, 2w. Thanks for the help Darth Chasm.

So 3.7V from the battery - 3.5 vf = .2 . So I should be looking at something in the point .2 ohm range?

I would prefer to buy everything from TCSS if possible. It seems like most of my wishlist is out of stock unfortunately. I don't mind waiting though. I'm assuming the site is out of most items because of TFA and Christmas.

Thanks for the help Greenie.

Blog Entries

Yeah some calculators tend to round up too much. You can use the .47 ohm and be just fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Yeah some calculators tend to round up too much. You can use the .47 ohm and be just fine with it.
    Great, thank you sir!