Thread: Luke Skywalker Ultimate FX last 4 leds not working

Default Luke Skywalker Ultimate FX last 4 leds not working

Hello,

The last 4 leds of my kid's Luke Skywalker Ultimate FX Lightsaber have stopped working.

IMG_20151227_104639.jpg

Sometimes if I bent the white strip of LED strings where it is in conect with the blue pcb they would light again so I've applied some new tin to these 5 soldering points but without any luck (and now even if I bend the white strip they wont light up):

IMG_20151227_104726.jpg

As I want to keep the light scrolling effect when powering up and down, could anybody please tell me what should I do in order que repair my kid's lightsaber? Do you know which soldering point should I focus the get these last four leds shine again?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pepelugil View Post
    Hello,

The last 4 leds of my kid's Luke Skywalker Ultimate FX Lightsaber have stopped working.

IMG_20151227_104639.jpg

Sometimes if I bent the white strip of LED strings where it is in conect with the blue pcb they would light again so I've applied some new tin to these 5 soldering points but without any luck (and now even if I bend the white strip they wont light up):

IMG_20151227_104726.jpg

As I want to keep the light scrolling effect when powering up and down, could anybody please tell me what should I do in order que repair my kid's lightsaber? Do you know which soldering point should I focus the get these last four leds shine again?

Thank you

Hi Pepe,

Saw your post under mine and thought I might convey my thoughts. I don't know much about the electronics in those sabers but I can hazard a guess as to what's going on.

Is the 4th LED only slightly lit up or is that just reflection from the LED below it? As it is (with the 4 LEDs not working) there must not be enough current to drive the last 4 (unless there is a break in the traces that effectively chops out the top of the LED circuit). The way you describe it (where you can get it to work by torquing the blue circuit) I would guess the problem is somewhere in that voltage regulation circuit. Probably a bad joint on one of those tiny diodes or a broken trace. I would go through and reheat each solder joint with a fine tip, low heat iron. If that doesn't work I would check the traces for continuity. After that I would start charging my son $20.00/hr.

Hope that helps!

OH YEAH, PUT IN COMPLETELY FRESH BATTERIES!!!!

- Al

My Daughter busted my sons exact saber. Broke the strip about 5 from the top. The rest continue to work. Is there anywhere to get a replacement strip?

I think it would be easier to gut the board and power a single led in a PVC hilt. That's just me though.