Thread: Best power source for CREE and tri-CREE

Default Best power source for CREE and tri-CREE

Hello,

I have been doing a lot of research and i'm still unclear about the power source.

My plan is to use an econoboard, and put a CREE XP-E, new speaker, 2 swing sensor.

1/What will be the difference of brightness on a CREE XP-E2 with an 4xAA recheargeable, a li-ion 18650 34000mha 3.7v and a 2x li-ion 7.2 (same caracteristic).

2/Same question for a tri-cree.

3/Is a 2x li-ion setup uneccessary for only one cree?

4/ difference in brightness really worth it between CREE and a TRI CREE?

5/ FoC disable with TRI CREE? I have read mixed info about this.

Thank you very much for you help

Quote Originally Posted by wolf69 View Post
    Hello,

I have been doing a lot of research and i'm still unclear about the power source.

My plan is to use an econoboard, and put a CREE XP-E, new speaker, 2 swing sensor.

1/What will be the difference of brightness on a CREE XP-E2 with an 4xAA recheargeable, a li-ion 18650 34000mha 3.7v and a 2x li-ion 7.2 (same caracteristic).
    Brightness won't necessarily suffer, just battery life

2/Same question for a tri-cree.
    Trying to run a tri CREE on AAs is a bad idea.

3/Is a 2x li-ion setup uneccessary for only one cree?
    Yeah. 1x 18650 will do the trick nicely.

4/ difference in brightness really worth it between CREE and a TRI CREE?
    If you're going to have blade effects like FoC and blaster block, or if you're color mixing, multi LEDs are needed buuuuut for a plain-Jane blade, a single die makes a surprisingly satisfying blade with very little current draw. Using 3 dice will be brighter, sure, but it's up to you if you want to cut your battery life down. Most people only use 2 dice for the blade.

5/ FoC disable with TRI CREE? I have read mixed info about this.
    Not sure what you mean here

Thank you very much for you help
    As a rule of thumb, I always prefer to use Li-Ions unless I'm making a stunt for a little kid, in which case it's easier for their parents to just throw some AAs in there.
    Also, keep in mind that an econoboard can't drive a tri CREE. If you want to use more than 1 die, you need to bypass the board.
    Last edited by Miraluka; 12-23-2015 at 04:42 AM. Reason: misread something
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Thank you for your answer!

That what i thought that 2x li ion would be mandatory only for tri cree.

And since on of my futur build would be for my little brother i would stick wit 4xAA.

For my saber i will see, depending of the space inside the hilt.

However what did you mean by "most peaplo use two dice"? You meant two led on a star?
    By the way how hard it is two assemble a star with more than one led by yourself?

When you said an econo cant drive a tri cree you meant that i can solder the led directly feom the board but i need to wire it to the battery right?
    I thougt all led needed to be wired directly to the battery in order to have the right power.
    Last edited by wolf69; 12-23-2015 at 05:39 AM.

The time you really need a 2x Li-Ion solution is when you're using a buckpuck, CF or PC. But even with the CF or PC, you can get around it and use 1.

Yeah, 2 LEDs out of 3 on a tri star.
    I don't assemble my own stars. If you want a special combination of LEDs, TCSS sells custom CREEs and custom Rebels can be purchased at LuxeonStar.
    Unless you just meant wiring a tri LED, which is easy.

You can drive a single LED off the board but if you're using more than 1 diode, you'd basically wire the LEDs parallel to the board. I haven't done it, myself, but there are diagrams floating around.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I am running the new 2015 eco board and ordered cree xp-e3 blue, I thought I read on here if you run a pnp transitor and a 5v regulator it would work. Is that not tru.. Newbe here and trying to make since of al this my self.

Thanks