Thread: Maximum Brightness

Default Maximum Brightness

Ok guys so a little help please. My saber is currently running a RGB Cree Coppernova (i was going to do colour mixing but changed my mind) on the red powered by a 18650 3.7v 3400 mah and is resisted at 1.2 ohm.

While the saber is bright, i would like to make it brighter, my optimum resistor was 1.1ohm so i could gain a tiny bit by swapping to that, but would swapping to a single die Cree (because of its central position) or a R/R/W Cree running both Red's improve brightness.

Or could i even under resist the current led, to 1 ohm or even lower? while i want it to be bright i dont want it to burn out.

The other option is a string blade, i can build them but i dont know exactly which LED's are best for this application or what to diffuse the light with.

Thanks

Your best bet would be to go with the RRW tri-cree. The difference between 1.2 and 1.1 ohms is so minimal you would barely notice a difference in brightness by swapping them out.
    If you don't care about FoC, you could potentially even go for a RRR setup.

There are tutorials on various forums detailing how to create string-blades, including, I'm sure, this one. Seek and ye shall find.

To answer your question, yes, swapping to a single die red WOULD make the blade look better. Surprisingly better IMO.
    I'm not sure how your blade looks now, but a R/R/W would look fairly good, too. I just built a saber for my brother with a R/R/R but only connected 2 of the reds to save on battery life. It looked pretty good.

Either solution would be okay. I would probably do one of those rather than building a string.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Ok so R/R/W would be the way to go then as i do want FoC later on, can you under resist them to drive them harder, 1.1ohm is the recommended resistor for the red but can less be used to drive them brighter?

Also why would you rather that option over a string? I know they are much more fragile than in hilt led's but this is mostly a costume saber where look is more important than duel-ability

Reds tend to pop rather easily, so I wouldn't try "overdriving" them.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crossy View Post
    Ok so R/R/W would be the way to go then as i do want FoC later on, can you under resist them to drive them harder, 1.1ohm is the recommended resistor for the red but can less be used to drive them brighter?

Also why would you rather that option over a string? I know they are much more fragile than in hilt led's but this is mostly a costume saber where look is more important than duel-ability
    Because in hilt LEDs are bright enough and MUCH easier to implement, especially if you want FoC.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.