Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KIYOHARA - a PRIZM saber

Cool KIYOHARA - a PRIZM saber

Hey everyone,

Posting up my latest saber creation. This one goes to a co-worker who asked me to "hook him up."
    I had actually considered putting a CF in here but then started to realize that the internal space limitations would probably interfere with one of the things / effects I wanted this saber to have. After seeing some of the fiber optic work that VV had done on their latest custom, I was wondering how much of that I could emulate... but without the FO. So I milled (A LOT of) slots into the MHS gear and used a custom machined piece of polycarbonate as a chassis to provide some light diffusion.

Anyhow, here are some specs:
    TRI-CREE R G rB
    3.7 Li-Ion 18650
    Plecterlabs PRIZM
    Custom bargraph
    Customized emitter and MHS Gear
    Starkiller-esque crystal chamber in the emitter "choke"
    K3GR1 (spare) shroud
    Black Chrome and Bentley Blue (now my favorite trans blue PC!) powder coating

Onto the glams!

SMOKIN'!!!

Here are some selected in-build pics:

View of the Crystal chamber - the cool thing is that this crystal lights up from the main LED lights, so no additional 5mm RGB LED is needed. The glue for this is Bondic - as far as I can tell, it's a UV activated clear epoxy. Seems fairly robust. Will see how it holds up over time.

Thanks for looking!
    Happy Holidays to all of you!
    -C
    Last edited by cannibal869; 01-06-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    LOCKHEED

Great work, as always C!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I love how immaculate your builds are.

I have some thick walled blade tube that I want to emulate your chassis with, did you use a mill to remove some of the ID of the tube so you could mount the speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    I love how immaculate your builds are.

I have some thick walled blade tube that I want to emulate your chassis with, did you use a mill to remove some of the ID of the tube so you could mount the speaker?
    Hey Ty,

Thanks! I had to start that particular chassis from a solid piece of polycarbonate round rod stock... I used the lathe first to drill a center starter hole, then used the boring bar to widen it out.
    The speaker mount is a separate piece that I then lathed and milled out of that same rod stock so that it could fit inside the outside chassis.
    I needed the speaker to be offset so that I could create a wire channel underneath.

I mean if you plan it all out ahead of time, I think it is actually possible to create all of that chassis out of one solid piece of rod stock (instead of two like I ended up doing). But it requires you to pre-plan all your measurements pretty carefully.

Hope that explanation helps a bit...
    -C

oh and just as an FYI - the builds are NEVER that immaculate LOL. There's usually a lot of cursing and sweating between conception and execution LOL
    LOCKHEED

Great look, awesome work!

Very cool design!!

Blog Entries

Another awesome build cannibal! The vents in the gear are especially cool.

I like it. Very pretty.

that gear section is killer! awesome as always.