Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Build Log : Padawan Hilt

Default Build Log : Padawan Hilt

Starting the beginning stages of a new Padawan Hilt for my son Quinn. It's called "Quinn's Blade".

Used a green pad to start prepping the parts for color. Removed the standard finish into a more rough texture.

Very cool. Never thought to use a choke piece as a piece in the middle of the body. I like the idea. I also kinda like the rough finish. And the design is nice too
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Some more updates. Textured the sanded parts with Aluminum Black staining and rubbing with a layer of clear coat to give it a grungy texture. Also added a few mock ups of blade colors to decide on.

Possible blade colors:

I am loving this saber. It is a wonderful design. Reminds me a lot of an Old Republic saber. And just as a side not, I personally like the looks of the green blade with this hilt.

Quote Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
    I am loving this saber. It is a wonderful design. Reminds me a lot of an Old Republic saber. And just as a side not, I personally like the looks of the green blade with this hilt.
    I was leaning toward green or blue.

Probably have yellow or white FoC as well with a PC3.5 soundcard.

Like the weathering job, but why didn't the rest of the pieces get weathered with it? Looks kind of outta place with very nice shinies and then weathered "main bodies/extensions"

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

I'll counterpoint MM; I like the visual texture the weathering brings. It stops being "weathering" and becomes "finish". If possible, try and clean the "gunk" off the bronze area of the choke as IMO it spoils the effect.

And the tweaking continues. I've added an MPP clamp and some rings to define the base more. I know allot of folks do not like box clamps but to me, it gives it the feel of the Original Trilogy. It is not permanent just playing with the look and feel.

To AmWolf > I plan on cleaning up the bronze section. The dirty FX didn't turn out as planned. Trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Like the weathering job, but why didn't the rest of the pieces get weathered with it? Looks kind of outta place with very nice shinies and then weathered "main bodies/extensions"
    My strange reason behind only some parts being textured, is that I was going for a Padawan hilt that had several diffent parts used to construct it. Some parts were old and grundy but some parts were newer.

At least that what I was going for.

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    I'll counterpoint MM; I like the visual texture the weathering brings. It stops being "weathering" and becomes "finish". If possible, try and clean the "gunk" off the bronze area of the choke as IMO it spoils the effect.
    Cleaned up the bronze/gold section a bit.