Thread: Am I the only one who wants simple stunt hilts?

Default Am I the only one who wants simple stunt hilts?

I am brand new to saber building and feeling overwhelmed with the amount of "if you're new, start here" and comprehensive basics. All the while, I appreciate all the help this community offers to new builders

I am looking to build a very basic wall hanger, or something I can use as a show piece. It doesn't need to have any electronics, nor does it even need to fit a wooden down. I have spent a few hours looking for tutorials online and found a few that offer great tips. I have a dremmel and drill, but lack larger machine equipment like drill presses, lathes and riveting tools.

I am looking to build something that doesn't look like a screwed together drain pipe (although i do like the DIY kind of look). I'd love to be able to recreate a Darth Vader sober from the original trilogy. I found the Big Yellow Box site, but it seems to be giving me trouble accessing the instructions.

I would really appreciate any help!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums. TCSS (The Custom Saber Shop) to which these forums are attached has a great assortment of parts to build sabers with or without electronics. How about checking out the store and/or the MHS builder?

With a dremel and drill, you're only one tool away from the starter kit for a budding sabersmith: a soldering iron. Many of us started with just those three tools.

If you just want to build an empty hilt, you can certainly do so with MHS parts from the store. They look fantastic right from the store, and you can polish them or do other customizations. The DV emitter shroud isn't something that I've see in the TCSS store. You can probably get a MHS compatible shroud 3d printed from shapeways or the like.

Play around with the MHS builder (you'll find the link up at the top of the page) and see what designs you can come up with. If you ever get tired of having an empty hilt, you can always decide to add lights and/or sound at a later date.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I had the same feeling when I first visited the website. I am also just looking to make a stunt saber. The MHS builder would help you with getting started. You just need a main hilt, blade holder, pommel and the blade itself. Of course you can give it extra's with the other options available such as the extensions.

I guess ordering a switch (without electronics, just for the showcase of it) and the service to drill a hole for the blade to hold are the last things you need for it to work for stunt purposes.
    Though, I wonder how strong the blades are and if they can resist some stunting.

Just to clarify, usually when people say "stunt" saber, they mean a saber with an illuminated blade. Hilts without electronics usually go by "empty" or sometimes "static" hilts.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.