Thread: First Saber, where to find metal shops?

Default First Saber, where to find metal shops?

This is my brothers and my second lightsaber. http://youtu.be/1lL3u0Ui9-Y

It's a MHS build. But I was wondering if there was a place to buy hilts anywhere online for cheap? I tried speedymetals.com but they charge like $60 for shipping lol. Everywhere local and online only sells in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBJJ View Post
    This is my brothers and my second lightsaber. http://youtu.be/1lL3u0Ui9-Y

It's a MHS build. But I was wondering if there was a place to buy hilts anywhere online for cheap? I tried speedymetals.com but they charge like $60 for shipping lol. Everywhere local and online only sells in bulk.
    Welcome to the Forums.

This Forums IS attached to the TCSS store.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Looks nice! I like the unique belt-attachment system down at the pommel!

I feel your pain on shipping for raw material.

I think the moderator misunderstood your question but give him credit for the way he replied.

I assume you are working on an advanced sink tube project, combining TCS and hand made/ local sourced components.
    I'm doing the same myself, friend wants a saber with parts TCS does not make, 2" OD and brass.

There are several metal suppliers online that do not have min orders. Search for online metal supply and look for names including online, depot and supermarket.
    Some local suppliers will also do small purchases. Some scrap metal places resell as well, but selection is limited.

Note: some of the online places charge more for raw material than TCS does for a finished part and their shipping is higher.

Smile

OnlineMetals.com

I use them all the time for building aircraft..and sabers of course if needed.

Local is almost always better since shipping anything metal over a few inches long get's expensive.

Metals Supermarket has a fair number of locations.

Online retailers prices vary by product, I had an order where 5 pieces were cheaper at store A but piece 6 saved enough at store B that it even offset higher shipping.

Ebay is also an option.

Went to a scrap metal place this week. Aluminum at $1.60/ lb although not all pieces marked with the alloy.
    The brass I bought was about half the price I would have paid online, before shipping,

For my furniture, sculpture and other projects I prefer industrial and architectural salvage yards are usually based on price per pound. Great for accents and details.