Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dueling force and average hilt wall thickness

Default Dueling force and average hilt wall thickness

So currently I'm designing a custom hilt to be made and also a custom soundboard to go with it.
    I wanna know if any of you folks know the numbers of the force a lightsaber takes when heavy dueling.
    Also would like to know the average hilt wall thickness and material/alloy used with diameter if possible.

This mainly concerns two things: 1st is the strength of the hilt, I want to make mine durable enough to duel, 2nd is that
    the sensitive electronics inside particularly the quartz oscillator and maybe the uSD card can be damaged by
    excessive shock, that way I can account for that and perhaps use a MEMS oscillator instead.

If any of you could provide some numbers it would be great help!

Measurements for blade material can be found here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...long-P151.aspx That's for the thin-walled polycarbonate blades. They're still VERY durable.

General measurements for the MHS parts are here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...System-aka-MHS I'm fairly certain the material used is T6 aluminum.

Properly soldered components that are mounted in a chassis in the saber hilt should not be damaged by dueling. The blade is typically what takes the impact, not the hilt.

As for force numbers? I don't know. I've never broken a saber or a blade, and I'm fairly a fairly vigorous duelist.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

This question in one form or another creeps up time after time after time.

Given enough force, you can break anything. Why in the world people want to bash around expensive lightsabers, I will never understand. Very few people in the entire planet have any skill with weapons, so dueling is more an exercise of machismo and showing off for their fellow nerds than it is an exercise in any kind of martial art. One of the reasons I stopped building sabers entirely was that people who were willing to dropp upwards of $2000 on a lightsaber from me wanted to be able to beat concrete pillars to dust with it too, which is ludicrous.

Regardless of how many black or whatever color belt you may have in whatever hard-to-pronounce fake martial art, honest deuling with lightsabers is best left to professionals that have indemnity insurance and can afford the resulting lawsuits from the injuries that will inevitably result. For the gentle tip=tap "dueling" that we dorks do, anything built from TCSS parts and built according to recommendation ought to be sufficient to entertain in the back yard and sufficiently impress the few women who hang around dorks like us. None of us is a Sith or Jedi, and the sooner we realize we are grown up playing with TOYS, the sooner we will respect the time and energy that goes into making them and take better care of them rather than beating the crap out of something that was built with hard-earned money. I mean, if you just want to throw money away, I'll give you my address and you can send it all to me.

Thanks a lot, but I have to say sensitive parts like a quartz oscillator only have a shock resistance of 3000g while MEMS oscillators can go upward to 100,000g. Being hard connected to the blade without any suspension like system, the hilt is still seeing the same force as the blade since its one rigid stick, the the pivitol momentum could actually be greater.

Quote Originally Posted by waicool20 View Post
    Thanks a lot, but I have to say sensitive parts like a quartz oscillator only have a shock resistance of 3000g while MEMS oscillators can go upward to 100,000g. Being hard connected to the blade without any suspension like system, the hilt is still seeing the same force as the blade since its one rigid stick, the the pivitol momentum could actually be greater.
    Not entirely true. The flex of the blade is a suspension system for the hilt...watch slow motion video of how much the thin wall and even the thick walled blade bend on impact. Even wood and aluminum bats bend up to 10 degrees on impact with a baseball, and the baseball collapse almost 1/3 of the way...it's all suspension. As for swing force, closest I know of is the average bat to stationary ball impact generates 37,000 newtons or roughly 8,000 lbs. But I would be willing to bet few sabers will ever see that, but it is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Not entirely true. The flex of the blade is a suspension system for the hilt...watch slow motion video of how much the thin wall and even the thick walled blade bend on impact. Even wood and aluminum bats bend up to 10 degrees on impact with a baseball, and the baseball collapse almost 1/3 of the way...it's all suspension. As for swing force, closest I know of is the average bat to stationary ball impact generates 37,000 newtons or roughly 8,000 lbs. But I would be willing to bet few sabers will ever see that, but it is possible...
    That makes sense, thanks for the new insight

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post
    This question in one form or another creeps up time after time after time.

Given enough force, you can break anything. Why in the world people want to bash around expensive lightsabers, I will never understand. Very few people in the entire planet have any skill with weapons, so dueling is more an exercise of machismo and showing off for their fellow nerds than it is an exercise in any kind of martial art. One of the reasons I stopped building sabers entirely was that people who were willing to dropp upwards of $2000 on a lightsaber from me wanted to be able to beat concrete pillars to dust with it too, which is ludicrous.

Regardless of how many black or whatever color belt you may have in whatever hard-to-pronounce fake martial art, honest deuling with lightsabers is best left to professionals that have indemnity insurance and can afford the resulting lawsuits from the injuries that will inevitably result. For the gentle tip=tap "dueling" that we dorks do, anything built from TCSS parts and built according to recommendation ought to be sufficient to entertain in the back yard and sufficiently impress the few women who hang around dorks like us. None of us is a Sith or Jedi, and the sooner we realize we are grown up playing with TOYS, the sooner we will respect the time and energy that goes into making them and take better care of them rather than beating the crap out of something that was built with hard-earned money. I mean, if you just want to throw money away, I'll give you my address and you can send it all to me.
    Wow! Tell us how you really feel, lol.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I exhibit a lot of traits of Asperger's Syndrome, so I don't really have much of a sense of humor - so are you being facetious, passive-aggressive, or are you serious?

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

pretty sure it was meant to be humorous!

Sometimes I have to ask because if I assume, I often assume wrong and wind up saying something wildly inappropriate to the situation.