Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got interviewed by reporter. Plugged TCSS a lot

Blog Entries

Default Got interviewed by reporter. Plugged TCSS a lot

greeting all,

Reporter from Science Friday contacted me out of the blue. When I asked what they are about she said "we are a journalistic organization" and they broadcast a science show every Friday to 300+ radio stations in the US.

anyway, they wanted to know how to build a lightsaber and they wanted to talk to me because I wrote an instructable in 2009. 2009!!!!!!!!! LOL.
    Granted, when I google "how to build a lightsaber" my instructable is either 1 or 2 on the list of results.

anyway, i plugged TCSS a lot. so there is some links in there for TCSS products. I am hoping it drives up sales for Tim.

here is the link to the "featured article"
    http://www.sciencefriday.com/article...wn-lightsaber/

Now, i seriously need to update the instructable. 7 years is a long time for technology and the saber scene has changed much since then.

Happy holidays all!
    -V

-------------------------------------------

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas A. Edison

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Very cool opportunity!

That instructable could use a few updates though, especially if people are going to be being linked there from the news article! lol

Nope. They'll just follow their interest and wind up here and either be dumfounded and leave or be hooked and fished in. I remember how I was once from a simple youtube video of a guy building a sink tube with the cheapest crap imaginable. He dropped the link to TCSS for the blade and boom! Here I came.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    Very cool opportunity!

That instructable could use a few updates though, especially if people are going to be being linked there from the news article! lol

The instructable was written 7 years ago and a lot has changed. I have seen a lot of people come and go and a lot of new innovations arrive and old ideas fade away. I am the first to admit the instructable is dated, but revising is is a big undertaking since I have to research everything currently being used.

The task is made more difficult by the fact that I really have not built a lightsaber since writing the instructable and the only thing I can honestly say I experienced is what I created with my lathe, mill, dremel, and a Master Replica PCB I salvaged. I was going to buy a Nano Biscotti this week and start a new lightsaber project to help me update the instructable. But unfortunately it is currently out of stock. The CF, Prism, PC, Igniter and Obsidian is too expensive for my very insignificant budget so the best I can do is read the manual and describe what it says in the instructable. Then provide a link so that the reader can investigate further.

An appointment was set up a week in advance prior to the actual phone interview. I reached out to Plecter, Ultrasabers, and Naigon to get bullet points to give to the reporter about their products. Only Naigon responded, but he was unable to provide product details in time for the interview. So really, i tried to give the major players a chance to educate me before the reporter spoke to me, but I was mostly ignored (again, except Naigon who tried). Naigon even offered to loan me a lightsaber to evaluate so that I can sound like I know what I am talking about. But it would not have arrived in time I think.

The thing to take into consideration is that I am spreading the word, trying to educate the new and interested, and giving links to resources to help them out. I'm promoting the hobby because I need Tim and Erv to stay in business so I have somplace to go to buy parts. But once they get here, it is up to the community to give a Good first impression. We want to make them feel welcome and supported. It is a very thin line between telling them to use the search and stickies, and coming off as arrogant and not helpful. Many will arrive here ignorant of our ways. We need to cut them a little slack.

It is a lot of work to write up a 16 page instruction manual on building a lightsaber, complete with pictures, videos, examples, links, is accurate and all on a strict budget and NO time to spare. I get nothing out of that instructable other than the reward of someones' gratitude for helping them get started.

Now, I am completely OPEN to people helping me edit the instructable. It could be a community project. I think it is important that it is up to date and accurate especially since a google search for the phrase "how to build a lightsaber" usually puts my instructable within the first 3 links. That's how the reporter found me. I also feel the active businesses that cater to us should have some input. But like I said, all I get from them is silence. Which I really don't get since my instructable is promoting them and it's free promotion.

I'd really like to keep this discussion going...

What a cool opportunity. The idea of a community written instructable is interesting. I only have 1 saber under my belt, but I would help if I could.

Blog Entries

most of the people looking at the instructable are just starting to consider building one, so having one under your belt makes you a valuable resource for those people. They can draw on your unique experience. If you want to, read through the instructable, and tell me where I need to make changes. Try to be very specific as to where in the instructable the change needs to happen - i.e. page number, paragraph number, or image.

Feel free to submit and/or suggest images too.

If this thread takes off and the instructable is edited by the community I will change the front page to credit all who contributed and state that the instructable is from the lightsaber community.

I think this is an incredible idea. Perhaps FJKcould be so kind as to sticky this thread and we can add the link to our signatures?

Quote Originally Posted by vadeblade View Post
    I was going to buy a Nano Biscotti this week and start a new lightsaber project to help me update the instructable. But unfortunately it is currently out of stock. The CF, Prism, PC, Igniter and Obsidian is too expensive for my very insignificant budget so the best I can do is read the manual and describe what it says in the instructable.
    You can also go the econo board route. I got a few sound cards out of the new Lightsaber Builders toys, which are about $15-20 a pop (depending on where you shop).

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I think editing the instructable as a community is brilliant!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    You can also go the econo board route. I got a few sound cards out of the new Lightsaber Builders toys, which are about $15-20 a pop (depending on where you shop).

i actually have 2 MR SW-616 lightsabers. one of them I gutted and used for the instructable. Works well enough. I don't want to go the econo route since I've sort of done that already with 616 board (if you call gutting a $75 MR lightsaber economy). At the same time I can't really go full bore with a CF or PC or Prizm. So NB is the best option. If you look at my instructable profile page you will see I have many interests, money is moving in many directions.

If the community edit idea works out, my inexperience of the higher-end sound boards matters little since we will be drawing on the experience of many others.

Another thing I want to implement in the instructable - at the very end devote several pages to a gallery. Maybe 3-5 pages. Five to ten hi-res lightsabers per page. Show off what can be made and really get people inspired. Each picture would be watermarked with "Lightsaber and photo by ******" so that proper credit is given to the crafts-person who created it. And also, only the creator can submit a lightsaber to the gallery. That way we know images are used with permission from the owner/creator.

And of course, lots of links back to this forum and TCSS. The instructable will just be a gateway into our community.
    Last edited by vadeblade; 12-17-2015 at 01:16 PM.