Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3D-printed first saber

Default 3D-printed first saber

Lightsaber Mod 6.jpgHI!

I've recently found out that the local maker-space at my regional library had a 3D-printer and a computer with Solid Works, and since Ive quite adept in Solid Works Im planning to use it to print my first lightsaber (sorry The Custom Saber Shop, Im unemployed and dont have the Money to buy a MHS-saber this time). Is there anything that I have to Think about when making this happening, except the obvious with Connection-Points, or is it just to start designing and print?
    I would LOVE to get serious inputs in this matter, since Im a novice in 3D-printing

Yours Truly Samuel G
    Last edited by samthe0ne; 12-14-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Is there anything that I have to Think about when making this happening
    IMHO.. yes, there is. I would think about where you posted this?

You come to someones 'house' (more or less).. and announce you wont be purchasing from said 'house'.. yet go on to ask for advice on how to not spend money here? (seriously?)

At this point.. this is a 3D printer question.. and advice is probably best sought elsewhere.. (like the makerspace/library of the people who run the 3D printers probably?)

worry about your models
    exporting/prepping for 3D print..
    and the QUALITY (resolution) of the printer you plan on using... but above all.. have some respect for the forums here that are attached to a 'store'.

(I dont think spending time, money and resources for others to go elsewhere is the goal here)

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    IMHO.. yes, there is. I would think about where you posted this?

You come to someones 'house' (more or less).. and announce you wont be purchasing from said 'house'.. yet go on to ask for advice on how to not spend money here? (seriously?)

At this point.. this is a 3D printer question.. and advice is probably best sought elsewhere.. (like the makerspace/library of the people who run the 3D printers probably?)

worry about your models
    exporting/prepping for 3D print..
    and the QUALITY (resolution) of the printer you plan on using... but above all.. have some respect for the forums here that are attached to a 'store'.

(I dont think spending time, money and resources for others to go elsewhere is the goal here)
    well that was kind of a rude way to put it in my opinion...

1: I WILL buy a MHS saber, ASAP
    2: Im adept in Solid Works and know how that program works, and therefore can design my own saber quite easy.
    3: Im also adept in CNC-machining (the same principle in 3D-printing with G-codes and such) so if I had the possibility I've already done my own parts in aluminium and never searched after a Place like this at all on the internet.
    4: I thought that this was an open forum for all lightsaber-lovers, and not just only for shoptalk.

I Think that I know at least 1 or 2 people on this forum that has at least concidered 3D-printing a hilt to at least see the design Before commiting to buy a saber. Now, what I wanted in this thread was to know if there were anybody that could help me a bit to make a good 3D-print and make my Dream of owning a good saber come true: I would STILL have to buy the Electronics from this Place (at least soundboard, blade and a few other small items) if I wouldn't go with HHCLS aproach and solder my own LED-string instead, which wouldnt be a too big of a problem for me, I love to build my own things.

Yours Truly Samuel G

I understand.

But my point is still the same. This place (forums and store) are mostly for the parts sold here, and getting support for those parts (MHS, electronic or otherwise)..

And your point #4 is in-correct. It is NOT an open forum. It is a forum owned and operated by a person who has a store front attached to it.

It is -not- for talking about products in other places.
    It is -not- for talking about other vendors. (especially those in direct conflict with the site/store)

I read your initial post as something like:

"Sorry I cant afford to buy stuff at TCSS, ... but still help me spend my time/money elsewhere."

If you have all the skill noted above, modeling, CNC..etc.. I dont quite understand why you would even go the 3D printing route.. unless it was for a internal chassis or something? I dont think you'll get any sort of decent quality for an outside/hilt piece that is done at a library type 3D printer... (but thats just my opinion.. you have the skills/experience)... quality on those type of printers would take many, many hours IMHO.. your best bet would be to get it done by a company like shapeways..etc (but thats expensive too)

if you can model it.. than your local makerspace probably has CNS lathe/mills too..

maybe that is a better [place for you to see help/advice?

Even therpf.com is better.. and more of the forum you are looking for. (open for said tech questions)

but hey, I'm not a moderator, and your post is still up/here.. you've been giving advice on where else to look.

good luck.

@xl97
    thanks man, and ok, I can follow that Point you made. Thats quite frankly my biggest concern: that I wouldnt save any Money on 3D-printing a saber in a makerspace due to timelimits, but the thing that started to turn those Wheels in my head was that they take 0,0590 USD/gram, and that is WAY much cheaper than order 1 pommel and get it shipped to Sweden. I have a PM for you too

Quote Originally Posted by samthe0ne View Post
    @xl97
    thanks man, and ok, I can follow that Point you made. Thats quite frankly my biggest concern: that I wouldnt save any Money on 3D-printing a saber in a makerspace due to timelimits, but the thing that started to turn those Wheels in my head was that they take 0,0590 USD/gram, and that is WAY much cheaper than order 1 pommel and get it shipped to Sweden. I have a PM for you too
    Mabey i can help you out with some stuff regarding your 3d-printed saber. I see we are both from Sweden, feel free to drop a mail at trhuster@gmail.com

@Trhuster

Mail on the way!

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Yeah, you could definitely 3D print that (more and more people seem to be doing that lately, where the most common use for 3D printing has traditionally been chassis parts). My only concern with 3D printed hilts is their durability if one was planning on dueling with them, Especially if you are not planning on printing in Metal.

Or you could use the very traditional building material of PVC, especially if you have CNC Machining experience that may make the whole thing easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    Or you could use the very traditional building material of PVC, especially if you have CNC Machining experience that may make the whole thing easier.
    Yes, I do have the experience of using a CNC machine, but, since im out of work I dont have any machine to use that experience in XP. Thus, im looking for the possibilities of using a 3D-printer instead.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Like I said, its definitely possible, people been doing it increasingly frequently lately. My only concern is hilt durability if not 3d printing in metal...

You could also do it in PVC by hand, take a look through the forums and you'll see many amazing pieces made in this manner, things you would never expect! I just mentioned CNC since you mentioned you had the experience