Thread: PVC Curved Hilt + TCSS parts

Default PVC Curved Hilt + TCSS parts

After making 9 PVC sabers for my kids and nieces and nephews then a MHS saber for myself, my wife wants me to make her a curved hilt saber for her. I have the curved hilt body made, but I want to make it nicer by using parts from TCSS on the ends. Has anyone had success in matching parts up to 1"ID PVC? The OD is 1.31". Here is a pic of what I am working with:

I was thinking about using the 1.25" sink tube adapter (if it's ever back in stock) and trimming the ID to fit over the PVC.

Blog Entries

I haven't made a pvc saber since the 90's and by that, never with mhs. But, that OD immediately stood out to me. Check this out: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ch...le-5-P792.aspx

It's the locking mhs chassis disk. Note it's OD

I'm thinking you could trim down the pvc to a smaller "elbow" section and slip female mhs parts on either end, and possibly use set screw or something to hold it together. The pvc would go about 0.625" into the mhs part until it hits the lip.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 12-13-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Yes, I have adapted MHS parts to PVC pipe. Many times. It is FAR, FAR easier to trim down the PVC pipe since it is a softer material and there is a LOT of wall thickness. Then use the MHS-to-sinktube adapter to couple MHS parts to the PVC pipe.

I ordered some 3 inch double female extensions to fit on both ends. I am thinking with a little filing, some heat, and a little Dark side persuasion, I will be able to get them to fit. I will secure it with screws and, depending on how it looks, I may do a leather wrap to conceal the joints. I will post again with the results hopefully by the weekend.

A side note: I have an 18650 battery holder and it slides freely all the way through the curve.

If you don't want to go with the leather wrap to hide the step between the MHS parts and the PVC pipe, you could use what they sell at Ace Hardware as "plumbers putty". It comes in a plastic tube, runs about $10, and is a 2-part epoxy you knead together then apply. It sticks to anything, and once cured, you can file it, sand it drill it, paint it, etc. I've made sculpted Sith sabers out of nothing more than PVC pipe and that plumber's putty. Just giving you another option to try if you want. Example:

Attachment 12571

I know what you are talking about. I've used it on other stuff before. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post
    That's pretty boss! Is that supposed to be a rancor tooth?

I think that's what I was going for initially. I haven't worked on that saber in a couple of years, so I'm not clear of memory exactly what I intended for it. I don't want to finish it, but I don't want to throw it away either, so it just kind of takes up space in my packrat collection LOL.

Well, it was easier than I was envisioning. I used a heat gun to soften the PVC and it slid right in. I chamfered the edge of the PVC first so that it would not catch on its way in. I did a test run on a scrap piece to make sure I could still fit the innards through the hilt. The buck puck was my concern but it fit, barely. I am using an 18650 and a NB to keep everything slim.
    I screwed the whole thing together and it feels solid. No wiggling, no rattling. I kind of like the look of the white middle part. It has a "bone" feel and look to it. When I added the leather wrap, my wife said she likes it better. It has a more positive grip.

Here's the pics:

Switch end: