Thread: 1st Build Part List Review/Advice/Help

Default 1st Build Part List Review/Advice/Help

Hello all, I'm excited to start building my saber but of course I have some questions about parts, etc.
    I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who helps me out. Here we go.

1x 7" Hilt Style 1 w/ Drilled Guarded Switch (Powder Coated Black Chrome)

1x .75 Extension Piece (Powder Coated Gold Transparent)

1x Pommel Style 3 (Powder Coated Candy Whine)

1x MHS V1 Blade Holder Style 3 (Powder Coated Candy Whine)

1x Star Thermal Tape Pad

1x Red/Red/White Tri Cree LED CopperNova XP-E2

1x Super Lube Grease

1x 8-32 Covertec Knob

1x MWS Momentary Guarded Switch

1x NB Sound Module V2 Pre-wired

3x 8-32 Drilled Screw Holes (2 on the bladeholder to hold the blade, 1 on the handle for the covertec)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I got for now. I know I need a few more things. That's where question time begins.
    Ready for the onslaught of terrible noob question? Here we go.

1. I want FOC, I understand I'll need a Power Extender... Which one?

2. What resistor will I need? I'll be running tri-cree red, foc, and NB sound.

3. Are 8-32 screws too big for blade holding? Smaller size?

4. 2W Bass Speakers vs Premium speakers? I believe the Bass are better but any thoughts?

5. MOST IMPORTANT! What battery pack/holder? 4xAAA or 2xAA etc. I don't want a buckpack.

6. Bonus question - Any thoughts/flaws you notice with any of the other parts?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Overall the saber's design is inspired by Sidious' saber.
    I intend on using an Infinity Edge V4 Blade from Saberforge for some heavy dueling with friends.

See attached pic.SaberBuilder_render.jpg

Blog Entries

Answers below in red

Quote Originally Posted by Sidious' Wrinkles View Post
    Hello all, I'm excited to start building my saber but of course I have some questions about parts, etc.
    I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who helps me out. Here we go.

1x 7" Hilt Style 1 w/ Drilled Guarded Switch (Powder Coated Black Chrome)

1x .75 Extension Piece (Powder Coated Gold Transparent)

1x Pommel Style 3 (Powder Coated Candy Whine)

1x MHS V1 Blade Holder Style 3 (Powder Coated Candy Whine)
    Make sure to specify which heat sink when ordering

1x Star Thermal Tape Pad
    You'll need a lens as well

1x Red/Red/White Tri Cree LED CopperNova XP-E2

1x Super Lube Grease

1x 8-32 Covertec Knob

1x MWS Momentary Guarded Switch

1x NB Sound Module V2 Pre-wired

3x 8-32 Drilled Screw Holes (2 on the bladeholder to hold the blade, 1 on the handle for the covertec)
    You only need one on the blade.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I got for now. I know I need a few more things. That's where question time begins.
    Ready for the onslaught of terrible noob question? Here we go.

1. I want FOC, I understand I'll need a Power Extender... Which one?
    The only one there is

2. What resistor will I need? I'll be running tri-cree red, foc, and NB sound.
    There's an Ohm's Law tutorial FJK did floating around the forums. That will help you.

3. Are 8-32 screws too big for blade holding? Smaller size?
    No they're not too big. Yes you can go smaller if you want.

4. 2W Bass Speakers vs Premium speakers? I believe the Bass are better but any thoughts?
    Split decision. Bass is deeper.

5. MOST IMPORTANT! What battery pack/holder? 4xAAA or 2xAA etc. I don't want a buckpack.
    Read the NB manual...several times. Buck puck doesn't work with the NB anyway.

6. Bonus question - Any thoughts/flaws you notice with any of the other parts?
    Not really. You'll want to look into a chassis system or some way of keeping your electronics from swimming inside the hilt.
    Madcow has done some great videos on chassis in the video tutorial forum. Check em out.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Overall the saber's design is inspired by Sidious' saber.
    I intend on using an Infinity Edge V4 Blade from Saberforge for some heavy dueling with friends.

Get more than one star thermal tape pad. If you mess up on your first try (like I did), you won't have to wait on an order for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidious' Wrinkles View Post
    I would not recommend that unless all your friends are using SF blades. And if they were, I'd advise all of you to get new blades. They aren't as unbreakable as SF wants you to believe, they're heavy and they're dim. Of course, it's your decision, that's just my 2 cents.

Don't forget to grab a covertec clip (if you don't already have one)

I'd also suggest buying an 8-32 thumb screw. If you don't want to use one for aesthetic reasons, I understand, but down the road, you might just decide you like the convenience of thumb screws. I love them.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.