Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom Lightsaber Tool (Hex Wrench)

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Custom Lightsaber Tool (Hex Wrench)

I was messing around with some scrap materials and got the idea to create a custom blade retention screw tool. Its just some telescoping hobby tube, a knurled thumb nut and of course, a snippet of a hex wrench.

Its such a goofy little thing but I got really excited about for some reason haha

Goofy? No, creative! That brain is always ticking darth_chasm, I like it. So what's next?, attaching it to and making it look like part of a saber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Goofy? No, creative! That brain is always ticking darth_chasm, I like it. So what's next?, attaching it to and making it look like part of a saber
    Hahah, that thought did cross my mind. Hmmm, next build maybe?

That is nice. Good use of "scrap" parts.

I'm discovering that a retention screw made to look pretty does not deliver sufficient torque to do its job properly, and have been thinking of how to possibly stow a hex key in a hilt.

I see in my mind a similar thing but with a hinge incorporated into the shaft, so it can fold to a "L" shape to use, and fold flat to either slide into a port or sit in a slot outside. If fabricated out of steel it could be held in place by a couple rare earth magnets.

(Once again I'm kicking myself for not learning CAD when I had the chance years ago. Space is such a premium inside a hilt, it would be nice to see how things fit w/o actual trial and error fitting of real parts. Not to mention being able to 3D print in metal now...)

Blog Entries

I can't remember who, but recently someone hid it in their pommel.

One way I was thinking was maybe as a greeble screw. Shorter obviously, maybe spring loaded so it could automatically shorten? I don't know, I'll have to toy with the idea more.

Mike, you can always use some graph paper and a pencil to lay things out. Then cardboard to make prototype pieces. Old school baby!

123d design by Autodesk is a pretty good low level package that a lot of us use. It's free and pretty easy to learn.

I've been playing with TinkerCAD
    It's not professional grade, but for someone who has not taken the time to learn a real CAD, you can make (or trial) some pretty involved, detailed, and accurate stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I can't remember who, but recently someone hid it in their pommel.
    It was Drawcut

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    It was Drawcut

This was the thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...Build-Complete
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

Just made one last weekend to mount the blaster chamber to the front of Lil-Dmans saber blaster. Though mine was more utilitarian...just an Allen wrench cut off and inserted into a drill extender. Nice work on yours.

Blog Entries

Had a bunch of scrap left over from the last build so I decided to make some more tools.

Here's another hex wrench, a scriber, and phillips and flat head precision screw drivers.

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末