Thread: 3D printing decorative parts (Not concept thread, actually doing this!)

Board Lurker TheRealRocketBurns's Avatar

Default 3D printing decorative parts (Not concept thread, actually doing this!)

Okay, so I want to preface this by saying I have a lot of respect for Tim, and will not be recommending the printing of items he already sells. Basically, this all stems from wanting a more complicated-looking saber. I am a big fan of the MHS sleeve material, but it can be annoying to work with, and I'm not good with a Dremel. I figured with 3D printing I could create incredibly complicated sleeves with little effort (except in design) that have both slots in them that reveal the main boddy fo the saber (Like what the sleeves do now) but also have 3D shapes extruded out of them. I am currently printing a test piece that isn't too complicated, picture of 3d rendering below:

sleeve1.jpg

This is basically a simple sleeve design with a button holder built in. I will update this when it is done printing, and then when I am done sanding and painting it. Yes I realize I could have bought both of these items from Tim, but I am on a tight schedule and this is only intended as a test. I will not be releasing this file.

If this is successful, I will design and print more sleeves that are more complicated with more 3D objects projecting from them and more detailed holes subtracted from them. Suggestions?
    Check out my website: www.rocketburns.com

I've worked on and used some printed pieces myself; don't forget to thin the walls down inside that switch section as much as possible or you'll have a piece heavy enough to actually kill something with if you're printing in metal (and you pay by amount of material used). Also, the final piece will not have a smooth surface - the print layers will be readable without spending a lot of time trying to sand them down. Oh, and prototype it in plastic before ordering the finished piece in metal (if you're using metal) as you'll discover the detailing may not be reading the way you thought it would and you can refine your design.

Was it your intent to use the lock nut on the switch (if it's a 12 or 16mm AV)? If so, then you will want to ensure you can install and tighten it. If you were going to use plastic, then you could tap for the switch…

Actually, I have my own 3D printer that I built a while back (about a year ago), so each piece is under 1 dollar to prototype. I have a filler spray paint that does an awesome job at hiding layer lines as well.

Before paint:
    before.jpg

After metal primer:

after.jpg

I tested, the lock nut does fit.

More parts being printed right now!
    sleeve3.jpg
    sleeve2.jpg