Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log: NanoRex's Personal Saber (First MHS build w/ CFv7.5)

Been working on the chassis quite a bit recently. I've decided to be greedy and go for a reveal core on this one since the project is taking me so long. As a result I had to change the battery plans yet again, this time downsizing from 2x 18650 to 2x 18500, because my bar graph PCB took up more space than I would have liked.

The plan is to SLS 3D print the chassis, then spend an awful lot of time finishing it with some sanding, paint or Rub 'n Buff, and a good amount of elbow grease. Here's what I have so far (I have yet to add much of the detail work):

That's gonna look real nice NanoRex. Good to see it progressing again.

Blog Entries

Cool. What are you planning on using for the rear of the chassis, brass tube? If so, be aware that, depending on wall thickness, when you cut that "door" out–it's a door I assume–the tube will most likely expand and won't necessarily fit into the saber. You'll need to coax it back into round.

FYI, Erv just released 3D models of his boards
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    What are you planning on using for the rear of the chassis, brass tube? If so, be aware that, depending on wall thickness, when you cut that "door" out吠t's a door I assume釦he tube will most likely expand and won't necessarily fit into the saber. You'll need to coax it back into round.
    Nah, right now I'll stick with 3D printing and painting. I'm still very new to this and I'd like to have complete control over the design so I don't run into problems. I also don't think I have the guts to try and electroplate at this point either

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    FYI, Erv just released 3D models of his boards
    I saw that on FB! I'll definitely be using them for my next build, cause I don't really have the time to transition from 123D Design to Fusion 360 right now.

Blog Entries

He included STL versions that you can open in 123D

I've been very inspired by the chassis design and especially the finishing techniques of Martin Beyer, the smith who created the Graflex chassis that went viral on YouTube. If you haven't seen his 3D chassis work yet, you should definitely check it out: http://graflexsaber.portfoliobox.net/3dchassis

I've really been trying to spice up the chassis by adding more small intricate parts to the design; the devil is in the details. However I've come to a huge road block in that I cannot seem to find a source for small telescoping metal tubing in various metals in Canada. I feel like I've looked everywhere on the internet and a little bit at local shops. If anyone could help me out here, that would be more than appreciated.

Blog Entries

Amazon.ca K&S Precison Metals?

That might just have to do, unfortunately. The selection is quite poor and more often than not they're extremely overpriced for no reason. Although I'd love to find a proper source for tubing if I can.

EDIT: My search-fu skills could certainly use some work. Eliminating the word "metals" turned up some good results on eBay.
    Last edited by NanoRex; 04-06-2017 at 07:58 AM.

The hilt parts have finally arrived in the mail, and I'm super excited to show them off. However they're going to need a little more work before I can do so as the rear sleeve doesn't quite fit on the body and some of the tapped holes could use a couple more passes with the tap.

In the meantime, this is the custom MHS heat sink module that has been modified to house 24mm QuadPod LEDs (compared to a standard one on the left in both images).

Behold...the incredible work of The Custom Saber Shop.

Because of a) the powder coating adding a tiny bit of thickness to the MHS part and b) the sleeve tubing was slightly smaller than spec, I had to sand the crap out of the inside of the rear sleeve to get it to fit. However in doing so, because of my noobishness, I managed to scratch the knurled part quite a bit by putting the sleeve on when it was still a little tight (I have no idea if lubricant would have helped or what?), which I'm really ticked off at myself for. You can kinda see it in the photos. I don't think anything can be done at this point to repair the coating, so I'll just have to be much more careful next time.