Thread: Build Log: NanoRex's Personal Saber (First MHS build w/ CFv7.5)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Build Log: NanoRex's Personal Saber (First MHS build w/ CFv7.5)

Hello, fellow saber builders!

I'm NanoRex, or Rex for short, and I've been lurking on this forum for a good few months, researching, researching, and researching, and I finally feel like I'm ready to start work on my first saber. Here is a Photoshop drawing of the hilt:

The design is inspired by many of the works by Madcow of Genesis Custom Sabers, fragrax from the FX-Sabers forum, slothfurnace, and various others.

I'm no noob when it comes to designing functional things and problem solving, so I decided to take on a fairly ambitious project. Unfortunately, I have little to no access to metalworking machines (not to mention I have zero experience with machining) so I will ask Tim to do the sleeve for me, and drill/mill the holes and slots in the MHS parts.

I plan on doing a video build log as well, which will be posted when the build is done

Okay, now on to the details. This saber will represent my personal lightsaber as if I were a Jedi. Therefore, I have opted to style this saber similarly to sabers seen in the movies (with the exception of the addition of a bar graph), and tried to make it seem 'realistic' if you will.

Plans for features:
    • Crystal Focus v7.5 (EDIT: Later revised to CFv7.5 + CEx)
    • 7.4V 14650 1050mAh li-ion pack (EDIT: Later revised to a custom 7.4V 18650 3400mAh pack)
    • 2.1mm recharge port
    • Madcow-style dual tactile switches
    • Tri-Cree B/rB/W (EDIT: Later revised to Quad Cree R/G/B/rB)
    • 2W bass speaker
    • 6 or 7 segment LED bar graph mounted on a PCB from cardcollector (Calvary Custom Sabers) (EDIT: Later revised to 4 segment bar graph)
    • Illuminated crystal chamber with aqua aura quartz crystal and reveal mechanism

I plan on using the covertec thumb screw from TCSS to secure the rear sleeve, which will act as a crystal reveal mechanism. When the sleeve is rotated 180 degrees, the crystal will be exposed. I will try and keep the crystal chamber as close to the middle of the saber as possible, because I think this is the most appropriate place for it, even if I have to give up battery life to do so. As well, because this is supposed to be my personal saber if I were a Jedi (and for budget reasons), I decided to omit the CEx and RICE port and stick with a single-colour blue blade (mixed blue and royal blue) with white FoC. However there is still plenty of space for a CEx if I change my mind in the future

The chassis for this saber will be custom made by myself and a buddy of mine who has kindly agreed to design and 3D print the chassis parts, including a custom housing for the 14650 pack inside the 1.15" ID ribbed section, as well as a custom 60-70 degree double tactile switch ring, once again for 1.15" ID parts.

One of the most difficult parts of this build will probably be the crystal chamber. I plan on making a slothfurnace-style radiator/heat sink crystal chamber. To do this, I went out and bought some 1 1/8" OD brass washers, and will use a Dremel and a friend's drill press to shape these to my liking. To run wires through, I'm looking at using some 1/4" OD flexible metal conduit. I want to give this the appearance of actually being a conduit running through the chamber, so it will not be straight when mounted. Here is a mockup (without the conduits):

I'm going to order the first TCSS parts this week, and I live in Canada, so don't expect an update anytime too soon :P

Before I get started, I'd like to give a huge thank you to those who have given me suggestions and assistance so far, namely FJK and darth_chasm. May the Force be with you!

Also, any name suggestions for this saber are welcome
    Last edited by NanoRex; 04-28-2016 at 07:05 PM.