Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Build Log: NanoRex's Personal Saber (First MHS build w/ CFv7.5)

Blog Entries

That my friend, is a very very handsome saber. Nice job designing and kudos to TCSS!
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Oh yeah! That is every bit as awesome as I expected. Mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    Behold...the incredible work of The Custom Saber Shop.

Because of a) the powder coating adding a tiny bit of thickness to the MHS part and b) the sleeve tubing was slightly smaller than spec, I had to sand the crap out of the inside of the rear sleeve to get it to fit. However in doing so, because of my noobishness, I managed to scratch the knurled part quite a bit by putting the sleeve on when it was still a little tight (I have no idea if lubricant would have helped or what?), which I'm really ticked off at myself for. You can kinda see it in the photos. I don't think anything can be done at this point to repair the coating, so I'll just have to be much more careful next time.
    Fantastic. I like the scratched powder coat myself -- gives it a bit of a worn look. If you add a subtle amount of weathering to the rest, it will look very natural -- and quite spectacular. Excellent design, and great work by TCSS (as always).

BTW, what color is the powder coat?

Oh, very nice. I quite fancy the look of the diamond-knurled section.

That is a gorgeous saber!

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    In the meantime, this is the custom MHS heat sink module that has been modified to house 24mm QuadPod LEDs
    I blew right past this the first time. You're using a QuadPod? I've been looking at those. You mentioned earlier you're going with a single color, so are all four LEDs the same color, or did you mix them? And what's your driver look like?

Thanks all! I spent many hours coming up with this design, so I'm glad to hear you all like it Still not sure if I'll weather it or not, but if I do it will be a very light weathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    BTW, what color is the powder coat?
    It's black chrome (and matte black on the gear). The look the translucent coating gives when applied over a part with many edges such as the ribbed or knurled sections is unexpectedly really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    You're using a QuadPod? I've been looking at those. You mentioned earlier you're going with a single color, so are all four LEDs the same color, or did you mix them? And what's your driver look like?
    Originally I was going to use a B/rB/W Tri-Cree for a single colour blade, but then I decided to go all out and do a multi-colour saber with a CEx. However I still wanted the extra-bright blue, so I settled on a Quad-Cree B/rB/R/G which was a custom order from a supplier that offers QuadPod PCBs. The 24mm PCB and optic don't quite fit in the standard MHS heatsink, so I had TCSS turn down the inside of the heatsink housing to allow it to fit.

Just catching up on this one. Very nice hilt there. I like it
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

this black Chrome..... was that TCCS powder coat or ...... do it yourself??? Im trying to find some black chrome paint- and coming up short..... anyone?