Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log: NanoRex's Personal Saber (First MHS build w/ CFv7.5)

Default Build Log: NanoRex's Personal Saber (First MHS build w/ CFv7.5)

Hello, fellow saber builders!

I'm NanoRex, or Rex for short, and I've been lurking on this forum for a good few months, researching, researching, and researching, and I finally feel like I'm ready to start work on my first saber. Here is a Photoshop drawing of the hilt:

The design is inspired by many of the works by Madcow of Genesis Custom Sabers, fragrax from the FX-Sabers forum, slothfurnace, and various others.

I'm no noob when it comes to designing functional things and problem solving, so I decided to take on a fairly ambitious project. Unfortunately, I have little to no access to metalworking machines (not to mention I have zero experience with machining) so I will ask Tim to do the sleeve for me, and drill/mill the holes and slots in the MHS parts.

I plan on doing a video build log as well, which will be posted when the build is done

Okay, now on to the details. This saber will represent my personal lightsaber as if I were a Jedi. Therefore, I have opted to style this saber similarly to sabers seen in the movies (with the exception of the addition of a bar graph), and tried to make it seem 'realistic' if you will.

Plans for features:
    • Crystal Focus v7.5 (EDIT: Later revised to CFv7.5 + CEx)
    • 7.4V 14650 1050mAh li-ion pack (EDIT: Later revised to a custom 7.4V 18650 3400mAh pack)
    • 2.1mm recharge port
    • Madcow-style dual tactile switches
    • Tri-Cree B/rB/W (EDIT: Later revised to Quad Cree R/G/B/rB)
    • 2W bass speaker
    • 6 or 7 segment LED bar graph mounted on a PCB from cardcollector (Calvary Custom Sabers) (EDIT: Later revised to 4 segment bar graph)
    • Illuminated crystal chamber with aqua aura quartz crystal and reveal mechanism

I plan on using the covertec thumb screw from TCSS to secure the rear sleeve, which will act as a crystal reveal mechanism. When the sleeve is rotated 180 degrees, the crystal will be exposed. I will try and keep the crystal chamber as close to the middle of the saber as possible, because I think this is the most appropriate place for it, even if I have to give up battery life to do so. As well, because this is supposed to be my personal saber if I were a Jedi (and for budget reasons), I decided to omit the CEx and RICE port and stick with a single-colour blue blade (mixed blue and royal blue) with white FoC. However there is still plenty of space for a CEx if I change my mind in the future

The chassis for this saber will be custom made by myself and a buddy of mine who has kindly agreed to design and 3D print the chassis parts, including a custom housing for the 14650 pack inside the 1.15" ID ribbed section, as well as a custom 60-70 degree double tactile switch ring, once again for 1.15" ID parts.

One of the most difficult parts of this build will probably be the crystal chamber. I plan on making a slothfurnace-style radiator/heat sink crystal chamber. To do this, I went out and bought some 1 1/8" OD brass washers, and will use a Dremel and a friend's drill press to shape these to my liking. To run wires through, I'm looking at using some 1/4" OD flexible metal conduit. I want to give this the appearance of actually being a conduit running through the chamber, so it will not be straight when mounted. Here is a mockup (without the conduits):

I'm going to order the first TCSS parts this week, and I live in Canada, so don't expect an update anytime too soon :P

Before I get started, I'd like to give a huge thank you to those who have given me suggestions and assistance so far, namely FJK and darth_chasm. May the Force be with you!

Also, any name suggestions for this saber are welcome
    Last edited by NanoRex; 04-28-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Glad to help.

Its a really cool design. My favorite part, believe it or not, is the knurling under the sleeve. That's a nice little aesthetic touch.

Good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

That's a seriously awesome design. My hat is off to you. Looking forward to seeing it.
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Definitely an ambitious project. My advice: take your time to do it right. Patience is the path of the light side. Rushing leads to the dark side of wasted parts and lost money
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Am i wrong thinking that there is an error on the battery choice? Isn't the 14650 pack listed not rechargeable? If so why the recharge port?
    SON OF A SITH!

If it's li-ion and in the TCSS store, it's rechargeable. Even if the store description doesn't say so.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Small update:

The custom bar graph PCB from Calvary Custom Sabers came in today, and I must say they are much nicer than I expected. Included was 7 + 1 extra 1206 SMD LEDs, and 7 + 1 extra 1206 SMD resistors, which have their own mounting areas on the back of the PCB so you don't have to mess with those tiny 0402 resistors on the CF. I don't actually know what the resistance values are, but I'm assuming they're correct since these bar graph kits were meant for use with the CF. Also for some reason I received two PCBs even though I ordered one...bonus?

But man, those 1206 LEDs are tiny. I could barely get them onto the PCB for the photo, and I am so not looking forward to soldering them

I am currently discussing the plans for the customized parts with Tim, which are the last parts that I need for the saber. Everything else is either in my hands or on its way

The plan is to meet up with a friend sometime at the start of next month to do the necessary drilling for the crystal chamber. Super stoked!

EDIT: Searched for the number printed on the resistors and found they are 5.6 ohm, which seems right for the LED specs.
    Last edited by NanoRex; 01-20-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Sweet! Magnifiers and tweezers will be your best friends during this part

Yeah, you'll want to pick up a set of precision ESD-safe tweezers for those. And a fine point for your soldering iron. Helping hands with magnifier if you don't already own a set (you should!).

I'd watch a YouTube video on SMD soldering before you start. I think Erv did one. There's a few tricks to make it easier.

Blog Entries

I use these. I look like a dork in them but I find them to be more helpful than the magnifier that comes with helping hands. The one I have came with an assortment of lens for different magnifications. The light is very helpful as well.

10607735-head-visor-magnifying-glasses.jpg